Luxating Patellas - 5 months old! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Luxating Patellas - 5 months old!

Hi everyone,

I am a first time GSD owner although my fiancee has had GSD his whole life. My baby (5 months) Caesar is 50 pounds and a little love! Three weeks ago after a walk he was limping a little and then out of the blue screamed and lifted his hind leg. Of course I immediately took him to the vet (10:00 p.m.). She said it was a soft tissue injury and prescribed anti-inflammatory and pain meds as needed. We kept him low key (no stairs which he doesn't do much anyway), no jumping with our older 2 year old rescue etc...Also, no long walks only short ones.

After a few weeks he seemed fine but would on occasion favor his hind legs. I found out his litter brother was diagnosed with pano and thought maybe the same for my little pup. We had our routine vet appointment this past Saturday (3/10) and after his examination she found he has luxating patellas on both hinds.

Being the researcher that I am and talking with other GSD owners in our neighborhood I found one who had the same issue as a pup. I am getting xrays this Wednesday, looking into hydrotherapy and having him walk up and down small hills. I also am including glucosomine chondroitant in his diet.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what did you do? What was the outcome? I would like to avoid surgery and do everything to help him have the opportunity to grow out of this (as I have been told it is possible).

TIA for any input!
Attached Images

Best,
Tricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:12 PM

My experience: my 4 yr old got this. Arthritis kicked in at 8yrs. Cancer took him at 10yrs. No surgery. Very stoic with pain. Only limped when not in drive. So i had to regulate exercise: he "swam" for his daily exercise. Kkept him very lean.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:34 PM

My friend has a dog, not GSD, with a single luxating patella. She'd like to do the surgery to give her dog better quality life. It causes her pup quite a bit of pain even though she will continue on through it up to a point. Too much excercise will cause her to limp around and she seems to be getting a bit worse as she's getting older. If she doesn't get enough excercise she gets stir crazy and wants to destroy things, but the more excercise she does the more trouble she has.

If they can grow out of it they strengthening and keeping lean may be a good idea while you wait and see. However, if he doesn't, you may want to look into surgery if you can afford it. By looking into it I mean researching the surgery and seeing how successful it is and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 06:31 PM

I'm no expert on pet insurance and it might be too late but you might look into getting insurance for the future if they'll still cover it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page