Cryptorchid, growth, and neutering? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shane'sDad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Cryptorchid, growth, and neutering?

I have a 7 month old boy. I was getting concerned with his small size, at 7 months he's 48lbs and 20" tall. I just took him to the vet and found out he has cryptorchid. His one descended testicle is on the small side and the vet said he probably won't be getting much bigger. I know he needs to get neutered before his undescended testicle gets cancerous but I'm concerned if I get him neutered too soon he won't fully develop and remain very small. Any advice on how I should proceed? Does he still have a chance of getting any bigger? For the record he's very healthy and I know size isn't everything, I'm not expecting nor wanting him to be 100+ lbs I just want to know if anyone else had a small cryptorchid and how they went about neutering and what I can do to help him develop and grow to his healthiest size (supplements, if any; already feeding him high quality food).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

Glad you asked. You can have the internal one removed at a later age as this as this is not an emergency. You can leave the other one to produce the needed-for-health testosterone. He them will be just as an intact male as a male with two testicles. Make sure the vet who performs the surgery is aware of your preferences. One of my males in the past was cryptorchid and he kept his only testicle. If you decide to fully neuter him anyways, then I would wait another year to do both procedures at once. This is not a dog you should breed as the condition hereditary.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Master Member

We got the dog in my avatar (Beau) at the age of 6 months...he was a cryptorchid.. but not small at all....he was neutered (both testicles) at 9-10 months he weighed 65ish at that time... but over the next couple years he continued growing and filling out to 88-90 lbs depending on when/where he was weighed. I'm no Vet.... but it's difficult for me to wrap my brain around around a 7 month old and "he probably won't be getting much bigger"regardless of what time frame you use for neutering.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Elite Member

One of my current GSDs is a cryptorchid. I haven't gotten him neutered yet. I'll probably wait until a little after his 2nd birthday..which is coming right up. It's okay if you wait a while to do the procedure, I think.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Elite Member

my gsd is crypt, he was small at 7 months too, and then ended up being top of standard. he's just over 2 , havent removed the bad ball yet lol, and 85-87 lb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:58 PM

My one ball wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Glad you asked. You can have the internal one removed at a later age as this as this is not an emergency. You can leave the other one to produce the needed-for-health testosterone. He them will be just as an intact male as a male with two testicles. Make sure the vet who performs the surgery is aware of your preferences. One of my males in the past was cryptorchid and he kept his only testicle. If you decide to fully neuter him anyways, then I would wait another year to do both procedures at once. This is not a dog you should breed as the condition hereditary.
Huh, this option was never presented to me. I like it though. My boy Rego is also a crypt. He is 6 months old and 60 pounds. This is something I will look into and consider. I think he looks very handsome and manly with his one ball!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 AM

My boy right now(Chase) was cryptorchid when we got him at 8 weeks. Both didnt drop, I was really worried about it as well at the time. I didnt want to neuter him before he turned 1. So i did it when he was about a year and 2 months. He's doing good now a year afterwards. So thats an option as well. My vet did do it with laser surgery too. Good luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Crowned Member

Two different vets told me it was fine to leave my crypt intact until 2 to let him grow with his hormones. I finally had that testicle removed when he was about 2 and a half.

My boy is a bit bigger than expected. i don't think your dogs size has to do with the testicle
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

Max had a retained testicle. The vet told me it could always drop but it never did. I wounded up neutering him at two. The retained testicle ended up being near his kidney so it was an extensive surgery - laser surgery helped quicken with the healing process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page