Puppy Stopped Growing After 6 Months - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Springbrz
  • 1 Post By Teeny83

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Stopped Growing After 6 Months

Hi everyone,

We have a 1 year old female who is currently 45 pounds and hasnít gained any weight or height since the 6/7 month mark. She also has not gotten her first heat yet. The vet just ruled out EPI today and basically has zero answers for her stunted development. Does anyone have experience or insights into this situation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Breed standard for a female GSD is 49-71 lbs. She is will probably fill out and gain a few pounds over the next year or so. Did she have small parents? She could just be genetically small. There are advantages to having a smaller rather than larger GSD.
As long as she is healthy enjoy your girl.
Oh...we love pictures!
Jenny720 likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Her parents are average size if I remember correctly. Is it normal for her to not have her first heat yet?
I havenít quite figured out how to upload pics in here yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayasDad77 View Post
Thanks for the response. Her parents are average size if I remember correctly. Is it normal for her to not have her first heat yet?
I havenít quite figured out how to upload pics in here yet!
It's not unheard of to have a first heat cycle at a year old or later.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 PM

is she spayed yet?
Mareesey likes this.

5 kids
2 dogs
Daisy 7/16/2008
Diesel 7/19/2017
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

No not yet
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Master Member

What is her height
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Master Member

My girl stopped height wise at 7 months, and I think itís quite common. Iím sure sheíll continue to put on muscle as time goes on, but generally her size now is what she will be around for the remainder of her life.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Last year I got a female golden retriever puppy that was considered the runt of the litter, but multiple vets declared her healthy. I was convinced there was something wrong with her and insisted they check for various congenital defects, but none were found. She has maxed out at 45 lb (parents were around 70 lb) and always had a low interest in food but a high activity level and apparently good health. At about 10 months, she showed signs of proestrus, but did not progress through a normal estrous cycle. Based on her two main symptoms -- stunted growth and sterility, I had her karyotyped by Texas A&M and found her to be missing an X chromosome. There is very little information about Turner's syndrome (monosomy X) in dogs, although it is occasionally found in horses and they are reported to be small and sterile but otherwise healthy. Personally, I suspect that this may be more common than believed in canines -- just that almost no one tests for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page