10 week GSD puppy growing too fast? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By konathegsd
  • 1 Post By camperbc
  • 2 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Smile 10 week GSD puppy growing too fast?

Hey everyone!

This may sound odd because I see a lot of posts about a GSD puppy being too small at a certain age.. Well my GSD puppy is well ahead of the growth curve and I wanted to know if this was normal or if anyone else has had experience with this before.

Aria is 10 weeks old today and is a solid 22.4 lbs. Each week she seems to be way ahead of the growth curve. At 6 weeks she was 11 lbs, in the middle of her 9 weeks she was 21 lbs. I have compared her size with many GSDs at her age and she is way taller and thicker.

I am not by any means complaining about this because I want her to be big!! .....But how big is this sweet girl going to get??
Her parents are pretty big... Her mom is 80-85 lbs and her dad is over 100 lbs. I read somewhere that at 8 weeks a GSD puppy is supposed to be 20% of their total weight. If this is true, she will be around 92 lbs. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Master Member

22 pounds at 10 weeks old is not that large at all. Sounds just about right.

Can’t really go off that. Kona was around that and she’s fully grown at 55lbs, and her parents were fairly large as well.
Aria_Victoria likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Elite Member

When Inga was that age she was putting on half a pound a night. Now 2 years old (almost) and 72lbs, well within the breed standard for bitches. She weighed 8.9lbs at 6 weeks. She was the size of a loaf of bread. (each square is 1 sq. foot)

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 02-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria_Victoria View Post
Hey everyone!

This may sound odd because I see a lot of posts about a GSD puppy being too small at a certain age.. Well my GSD puppy is well ahead of the growth curve and I wanted to know if this was normal or if anyone else has had experience with this before.

Aria is 10 weeks old today and is a solid 22.4 lbs. Each week she seems to be way ahead of the growth curve. At 6 weeks she was 11 lbs, in the middle of her 9 weeks she was 21 lbs. I have compared her size with many GSDs at her age and she is way taller and thicker.

I am not by any means complaining about this because I want her to be big!! .....But how big is this sweet girl going to get??
Her parents are pretty big... Her mom is 80-85 lbs and her dad is over 100 lbs. I read somewhere that at 8 weeks a GSD puppy is supposed to be 20% of their total weight. If this is true, she will be around 92 lbs. Any thoughts?
22 pounds is not that large for a 10 week GSD. In fact, according to a downloaded vet's office weight chart that I keep on my tablet, it is about average for a female.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Aria_Victoria likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Master Member

It depends on the condition of your puppy, too. Lots of times people are over feeding their dogs and they think the weight gain is substantial because of growth, but sometimes that growth is really just them getting fat if they aren't as proportionately tall. Some people prefer their dogs to be a little chubby while growing, but personally I think a medium to large breed dog should always be kept lean to help with joint health.

Do you have a photo we could see? Preferably from directly above while the pup is standing?
El_rex and Aria_Victoria like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for all of the responses!

I reweighed her last night and she is now 23 lbs and fairly tall. Every large breed puppy (expetingly 80-90lb) that we have met has been significantly shorter than her and they were either the same age or older. I feed her the recommended amount of her high quality puppy food. Something else to note is that her ribs stick out a little far so it looks like she has a plump belly when really she has a large ribcage. I have also done the rib test and I can still feel her ribs with her normal oversized puppy skin and muscle. Here are some pictures of her! Let me know what you think

Thanks for all of the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	479914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	479922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	479930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	479938  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Master Member

What a cutie! It's a bit hard to see, but I think your pup looks good! Ideally a direct top down photo would be best. But if you can feel the ribs easily and if there's a noticeable tuck, then I would say your girl is on the right track. My girl put weight on like a monster until about 7-8 months. She hit about ~70lbs and the growth generally stopped there. At this point, she's starting to put on muscle. I actually just weighed her today, and in the past month I'd say she's put on 2-3 lbs of just muscle which is great because weight wise and fitness wise she's where I want her to be for her age.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page