New Puppy with some issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

New Puppy with some issues

Hi all, new to the site. We are owners of a 10 year old female and 3 weeks ago brought home a male puppy when he was 7 weeks old. We are having some rather stressful issues with this pup and I have finally decided to seek assistance. Obedience training has gone fairly well inside the house. He responds to his name can sit, lay down, and is learning no and leave it. He is also starting to learn what go pee and go poop mean when he goes out. Listening to commands outside is a whole other matter. He follows the older dog wanting to play which I'm fine with but when he roams too far into the yard it's like he's deaf. I tried training outside today with the older dog inside with marginal results. After being outside for a good part of the afternoon, he pees 2x in the house. I'm losing patience fairly quickly. I don't recall out female shepherd having this lack of attention. I also feel the need to hawk this pup every second of every day when he is awake or not in his crate. I find it hard to keep him occupied in efforts to not keep him cooped up when I need to get stuff done around the house. Am I doing anything drastically wrong because i see him regressing in his obedience and house breaking and am not sure what to do next. I also don't want my 10 year old feeling I'm not paying her enough mind and for her to act out for attention.

Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

Sound like a typical puppy. maybe a little higher drive than your female was as a puppy. Go to Leerburg.com and read their free articles and watch their free videos. Keep his mind busy, physically busy, tethered to you or in a crate if you can't watch him closely. The outside is so new and exciting. You have to make yourself more exciting, with the puppy always on a long line.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Master Member

There's a reason we train first at home, then train with distraction. Your boy prob isn't 100% at home, so you can't expect 100% outside with all sorts of new sights and smells and sounds. It will take time

And yes, you need to watch puppies like a hawk when they're not in a crate. It's mentally tiring. I'd have my pup out for 30mins chunks where I'd play, train/ mental games, and do potty breaks. Then she'd go into her crate for an hr and I could do things

If you don't have time to have eyes on pup, need a break, or have to do something where you can't have 100% focus on the pup, then he'll need to go into his crate for a little bit

You are not doing anything wrong. My pup had some potty training regression around 14wks if I recall. She was doing ok and getting better, then started to get bad like she forgot. Some pups do it. Stay vigilant. Pups are hard work, but worth it when they're older
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Master Member

Your puppy is so very young. I think it is great beginning to teach behaviors to occupy your puppy. Expecting any obedience I think is to much. Puppies are such hard work it slowly gets better you are at an exhausting time. Use your crate when you can't engage your puppy.

I know people treat 2 dog homes differently. Some people use a lot of separation between the two dogs so that the puppy follows you and learns form you more then the other dog. I don't have any experience with that have just read about you may want to as well.

Best thing I can suggest is learn to teach your puppy that playing with you is better than anything else. It will help with training in the future. Focus way less on training and more on engagement be fun to your puppy. Play, potty train and general boundries in the home. Give yourself a break you have lots of time in front of you take a breath.

Stay consistent on the potty training. No free roaming puppy until 100% trained.

You have a more months to go of watching like a hawk.

It's all a balance find it. Read more puppy post so much to learn and find comfort in the fact you are not alone. Best of luck.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Knighted Member

I think GSD puppies are too smart for their own good! They "seem" to learn things soo quickly, that many owners think their learning is phenomenal. And it is, but then they get frustrated that the learning doesn't follow a linear progression. Just because your puppy will sit or down for you in the house when he's 100% focussed on you, doesn't really mean he's learned what sit or down means at all. And it certainly doesn't mean that he's going to do that or anything else you're saying when there's a butterfly or a bird or a new smell, or any other distraction! When it's fun for the puppy yes, but when/if there's something more interesting not so much!
Take a breath, play with your puppy and let him enjoy investigating the world around him. Bond, teach him that you're the best thing around, shape but don't train. Lose your rigid expectations. Let him realize how much fun you can be, and how advantageous it is to follow you and be around you. At 10 weeks he doesn't yet get that...
Aly and Nurse Bishop like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 AM
Master Member

Could not agree more as a novice way to smart for their own good.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Master Member

Don't worry about your 10yo. Dogs don't think like humans. She won't think you're ignoring her. That's just the story you created in your own mind. The obedience classes that I took my dog to suggested that you keep the leash on him at all times when he's a puppy and still learning. When you need to get to him fast, just grab the leash. You can also tie the other end of the leash to your belt, so that he's always with you. Like someone above said, when you need a break or you're leaving the house, put him in a crate. When he's mature and you can trust him, then you won't need the crate. That's how it worked for my dog.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I think GSD puppies are too smart for their own good! They "seem" to learn things soo quickly, that many owners think their learning is phenomenal. And it is, but then they get frustrated that the learning doesn't follow a linear progression. Just because your puppy will sit or down for you in the house when he's 100% focussed on you, doesn't really mean he's learned what sit or down means at all. And it certainly doesn't mean that he's going to do that or anything else you're saying when there's a butterfly or a bird or a new smell, or any other distraction! When it's fun for the puppy yes, but when/if there's something more interesting not so much!
Zoe is a week from 6mos. I was doing some training at the park yesterday and even from 8' I couldn't get her to sit. I had to walk over and push her butt down. She was having troubles with Stay also. She'd rather sniff the grass. Stupid teens :P
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

a 10 week old puppy is a BABY.....give him time to grow up.

I don't expect much consistency out of a baby. You must be patient....do not compare the 10 year old and the puppy....and of COURSE!!! he wants to play with her.....he is just barely away from mom and littermates....the whole world is NEW and interesting and exiciting!!

training for me consists of sit, plaitz and here for food or play at this age....and housebreaking which is hard and frustrating because they want to explore and forget to "go" most of the time!

Just hang in there and do not expect fast progress!

Lee
Bramble, sebrench, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Your pup is normal. Stay the course as stated in all the above. The first thing you have to change is to be more patient, and second: lower your expectations. You have many years ahead of you.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page