Daily Routine 5.5mo. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Daily Routine 5.5mo.

So I've had Bear for 3 months now, he has weak back legs so I cannot keep him loose in the yard as we have many steps all around (I live on a farm). Just went to the vet the other day and said to give him 2 more months until his back legs toughen up a bit more, then he can go up and down stairs.

I was thinking of my daily routine and wanted your opinions.

Morning 9am: Poop. 1hour of mixed walk, run, play, train then food.

Then he is tied to approx. 9m rope near where we're working, he is tied because of the stairs or because he loves attacking brooms/shovels/pitchforks/wheel barrows/ pretty much everything on the farm in our hands, lol. He is a pup so he is curious and we can't let him hinder our work.

At times he is alone for two hours or so, when that happens I put him in his kennel and he sleeps. Barks a bit but he needs that sleep anyways (at least I think)

Later 4pm: 1hour mixed walk/run/play/train.
Then he is loose by himself for around an hour as there is nothing for him to attack and we just stay clear of the stairs.

6-10pm poop then he is alone in the kennel.

10-12 poop. walk, run, play, train, hang out and food.

Then the day is over. This is our daily routine, if I leave the farm he is with me on the journey, always on a leash. I would like opinions because I've been reading and feeling a lot of people think this kind of life is wrong for a pup.

I have two kids, 2&4, and I have stairs in the home, so I cannot leave him unsupervised in the home, that's not gonna happen. He hasn't done anything to the kids but he sometimes will chase if they run or will try and jump on them, he is on a leash when that happens but it happens and I have to correct him. Also the floor at home is tile, bad for his legs according to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

That's the same schedule as my uncle had with his working collies. He had a dairy farm which was close to a well traveled road so the dogs had to be either kenneled or tied when they weren't out working and he couldn't watch them. I think your schedule is working out well and you are doing the best you can especially with your vet's recommendations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page