New German Shepherd owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

New German Shepherd owner

This is my girl Lola. Iím curious as to what kind of coat she will have when she grows up? Sheís about 9 weeks and her ears are extremely floppy. Iím also worried about her whining. She gets so anxious and starts crying if I even take a shower? Did anyone elseís pup constantly whine to this extreme?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C9621C2-EA2C-435A-891F-7DF9C1918E0F_1515098956601.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	536.8 KB
ID:	470906   Click image for larger version

Name:	82941E98-A7A1-4E59-86C3-87F57958C17A_1515098978966.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	470914  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Master Member

9 weeks? She looks younger to me. How much does she weight?

We didnít have any seperation anxiety issues

Howís the crate training coming ?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I also thought she looked much younger but I took her to the vet and the vet said she looked about 9 weeks. she weighs 10 pounds and eats 2 cups a day of food. they said shes a little thin (worms).
The crate training isnt that bad, she cries for a minute and calms down and only cries when she has to go to the bathroom. But if she cant see us when shes in the crate its a different story. Say she can see me but im on the other side of a gate shell constantly cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Knighted Member

She's very cute! Looks like she may be a coaty when she grows up. And yes, many puppies whine a lot, why not let her come in while you take your shower? That way she'll understand what's going on and likely as not decide on her own that it's okay to wait for you outside of the bathroom...she's still just a baby! Let her follow you everywhere, it's a good habit to develop while they're young.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Sheís adorable!
My dog is a big whiner. Sometimes she whines more than other times.

Zelda born 7/6/17

At the bridge; forever in my heart
Brandy rescued Labrador
Oreo rescued Border Collie
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
She's very cute! Looks like she may be a coaty when she grows up. And yes, many puppies whine a lot, why not let her come in while you take your shower? That way she'll understand what's going on and likely as not decide on her own that it's okay to wait for you outside of the bathroom...she's still just a baby! Let her follow you everywhere, it's a good habit to develop while they're young.

I also thought it was okay to let follow. My boyfriend was worried that she needs to be okay with being alone and to teach her independence. I like your idea better
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs995 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

I also thought it was okay to let follow. My boyfriend was worried that she needs to be okay with being alone and to teach her independence. I like your idea better
She does need to relealize itís ok to be alone. Itís also good because you are eliminating possible seperation anxiety issues later. We would leave our dogs home for a hour or so when they were younger and have never had any seperation anxiety issues. Your puppy is young now but as she grows it is important to leave them alone. You donít want a Velcro dog.
Swithins likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Master Member

Op, you have a young puppy. They whine. They've been taken from their mom and litter. How would you feel if some stranger took you away from your parents and friends?

We all deal with it. Into the crate when they can't be watched. They'll protest. They all do. Just wait until your pup stops whining and calms down before letting them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
9 weeks? She looks younger to me. How much does she weight?
Careful, I was asked the same question just because she was on the small side

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
You donít want a Velcro dog.
I've found the whining to be a little worse as of late. My wife leaves the room and pup will whine and pace. Not so much if I leave the room, but if I leave the car, pup will whine. Lately she really wants to be close to us. I'm wondering if it's been because it's Christmas break so my wife has been home more

I've felt that the Velcro dog phase will go away with age
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

Oh my goodness what a cute puppy you have!!! My guy whined when he was that age too, I think they just miss their siblings and mom... mine kept whining until he learned to ring a bell now he just rings his bell for everything (gotta pee? Bell! Hungry? Bell! Water? BELL!!!!). They can be a very vocal breed but my guy turned out to be pretty quiet, I wouldn't worry too much and make sure she does spend some time alone for her sake and yours!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Oh my goodness what a cute puppy you have!!! My guy whined when he was that age too, I think they just miss their siblings and mom... mine kept whining until he learned to ring a bell now he just rings his bell for everything (gotta pee? Bell! Hungry? Bell! Water? BELL!!!!). They can be a very vocal breed but my guy turned out to be pretty quiet, I wouldn't worry too much and make sure she does spend some time alone for her sake and yours!
Haha we did the bell too....it really helped us with potty training! We had to get rid of it though cause she would start randomly ringing it just to go outside lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page