Extremely small 6 month old - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Extremely small 6 month old

Hello all! I’m new to the forum and have been digging around and can’t quite find anyone else in my situation. I am very worried about my pup. His name is Bandit and is just over 6 months. I believe he is bi-color but correct me if I’m wrong. He hit 33 pounds as a 5 month old and has only gained 2 pounds since. I’m having second thoughts about his vet saying this is normal. From what I’ve seen this is definitely not normal. There are a few owners on here worried about their 50 pound pup that’s the same age! I switched vet and he says that he’s normal weight for his age. I’m not gonna stand there and argue with someone who specializes in this but my concerns are only growing. I’m looking for advise, past experiences or someone going through a similar situation. Forgot to mention his parents were both over 90 pounds and he is pure bred. Thanks for any information!Extremely small 6 month old-4f8678ba-0472-412d-adf0-9601cd1e1333.jpg
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Last edited by Edpez; 12-20-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Posted picture twice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Master Member

Looks healthy and happy to me. Is the pup is energetic, playful, eating well and healthy? If yes then I would not worry. Big things can come in small packages, speed and agility to name two. She will be growing for a long time to come. I have seen a large variation in size of GSDs on this forum and in life.

FWIW I think you have nice looking pup.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:30 PM

Judging by the feet and frame your not going see close to 90 here. For me I would find different food if you feeding the recommended amount. I feed raw, recommend raw. Adding in some additional calories and upping the protein should add some more mass. One of the dangers to the philosophy that low protein diets like adult food are better for a growing puppy is the building blocks Amino Acids are thus shorted. I feed my puppies well over 40% protein often and have for over decade. Its extremely rare I see any growing pains and have never experianced problems associated with very high protein diet during those first 24 months.

JD

Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

hard to tell from that picture, but he doesn't look thin to me.. You don't want him over weight and growing too fast. He will get to his adult weight and height growing slower. And will be a much healthier pup/adult because of it. I have had dogs that didn't get finished growing until they were over 3 years old. He does appear to be a finer boned dog..love him for who he is and when you have to lift him into a vehicle or on to the table at the vets, be thankful he is not 90lb, which is over standard size.. He's adorable.
Edpez likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 PM

He’s got a very sweet, innocent and youthful look. I would not guess 6 months, nor purebred, and possibly not a bi either.

Do you have photos of the parents and/or littermates?
Edpez likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Bandit is very energetic and playful. He is currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Puppy Chicken Formula. I donít have any pictures of parents or litter mates handy but the mother was solid black and sire was a saddleback Black and Tan. We love him regardless of size itís just the size seems very abnormal. Itís funny you mentioned his face and eyes those are my wifeís and I favorite feature. He has a soft look in his eyes. Hereís a picture from another angle so you can correct me on what type of coat Bandit might have.Extremely small 6 month old-a94a98d9-6d84-4390-9bbe-f85ae412adcb.jpg
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:30 AM
Master Member

Your pup could be a late grower. I wouldnt worry about his weight as long as he's in good condition and healthy. Also I wouldn't expect or hope for 90 lbs. Are you just guessing at parents weight? 90lbs is a good bit over standard for a female, but it is hard to judge weight just based on the eye. Lots of randoms think my pup is 90-100 lbs and he's mid 70's. If your dog ends up mid 70's that's perfect, considering a gsd is supposed to be a medium sized dog anyway.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Crowned Member

yes I wouldn't guess 6 months old from that photo but I wouldn't necessarily guess abnormal or medical issue either because he looks in good condition.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

My last GSD male was about 45 pounds at almost 7 months and I use to be concerned too. He was a slow grower. He hit 83 pounds during his 3rd year in life. He was under 75 his whole 2nd year almost. I'd lose the Blue. Too many recalls and ingredient fudging accusations for my comfort level. There are a lot of better premium kibbles out there. Like Orijen. Or, Taste Of The Wild use to be high rated and very affordable. I have only fed raw for the last 4 years (with intermittent Wellness when I could not do raw) ...so if anything has changed with TOW I would not know. The feeding boards here are excellent though.
Sabis mom likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Master Member

Looks just like my pup...she was about the same weight too. Your pup looks like. Blanket back black/tan not a bi

This was around 7 months or so
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0C18086-E4C0-46BE-841C-1C84D78F463D_1513870486029.jpeg
Views:	414
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	468210  
Edpez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page