Should I let strangers pet my dog? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
How old is your dog?

Forcing socializing on a puppy or a young dog is a disaster waiting to happen. It won't fix the dog. It will make the situation worse. There are many young dogs that are not super social as puppies. By forcing them they don't learn to like people, they learn to avoid even more. The young dogs I have had that weren't thrilled with being social, I would have just hang out, maybe get some treats from well controlled people, but would not force attention. All of these dogs became fairly social and tolerant of others and many would seek out attention once they matured. The one dog I forced attention on was a problem her whole life and was never reliable enough around people where I could trust her.

I want to add: my dogs need to be neutral around people. I can take them anywhere and I am their advocate just like I would be for a child (who I wouldn't allow to be manhandled and touched by strangers either).
Shell be 5 months on Dec. 6.
She likes going places and exploring. But people are so touchy.

When she was about 10 weeks old a young woman saw her and screamed, Omg! Can I meet your puppy?!? I said sure. The woman ran with arms flapping, scooped Zelda up in her arms and hugged her. It happened so fast. It was over before I could react. Zelda was so frightened by that. The woman apologized for her behavior.

Im not sure if that experience has anything to do with the way she brushes hands off or not.
As long as people are just talking to her, shes fine.

Zelda born 7/6/17

At the bridge; forever in my heart
Brandy rescued Labrador
Oreo rescued Border Collie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joys View Post
She’ll be 5 months on Dec. 6.
She likes going places and exploring. But people are so touchy.

When she was about 10 weeks old a young woman saw her and screamed, “Omg! Can I meet your puppy?!?” I said sure. The woman ran with arms flapping, scooped Zelda up in her arms and hugged her. It happened so fast. It was over before I could react. Zelda was so frightened by that. The woman apologized for her behavior.

I’m not sure if that experience has anything to do with the way she brushes hands off or not.
As long as people are just talking to her, she’s fine.
UH oh, my bad ... it was many, many years ago but I was that guy/girl! I'd just lost my Boxer/Bully, Stewie mix in an automobile accident, it was my fault. I failed Stewie he was to smart and I thought he understood more that he did???

But rescue day event and a lady was walking a young Bull Dog! I screamed, ran at the dog from 10 yards away and slid into him grabbed him by the face and said face to face,"Who's a good boy???" The dog was of course startled at first and tried to step back??? But I had him by the face but he recovered quickly and started licking me and seemed quite happy.

Finally, getting a grip ... I realized what I had done and apologized and explained. Honestly I moved so fast that few could have stopped me??? To fast and a first base slide ... WTH??? Most likely that's kinda why I tend to stop 5 feet away and do a body block (step in front of my dog) in the beginning ... just in case???

So yeah, I get it, still that type of craziness is not the norm??? Most likely what you saw was a once in a lifetime occurrence??? I've never done anything like that again and most likely that lady won't either??? It just takes a bit more effort on your part to keep people out of his face. You just need to show her, that everyone is not an "ambush petter???"
MineAreWorkingline and Joys like this.

Last edited by Chip18; 12-01-2017 at 10:00 PM.
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
UH oh, my bad ... it was many, many years ago but I was that guy/girl! I'd just lost my Boxer/Bully, Stewie mix in an automobile accident, it was my fault. I failed Stewie he was to smart and I thought he understood more that he did???

But rescue day event and a lady was walking a young Bull Dog! I screamed, ran at the dog from 10 yards away and slid into him grabbed him by the face and said face to face,"Who's a good boy???" The dog was of course startled at first and tried to step back??? But I had him by the face but he recovered quickly and started licking me and seemed quite happy.

Finally, getting a grip ... I realized what I had done and apologized and explained. Honestly I moved so fast that few could have stopped me??? To fast and a first base slide ... WTH??? Most likely that's kinda why I tend to stop 5 feet away and do a body block (step in front of my dog) in the beginning ... just in case???

So yeah, I get it, still that type of craziness is not the norm??? Most likely what you saw was a once in a lifetime occurrence??? I've never done anything like that again and most likely that lady won't either??? It just takes a bit more effort on your part to keep people out of his face. You just need to show her, that everyone is not an "ambush petter???"
Reminds me of a similar story the other day. We were in home depot on black friday and a lady ran up to our dog and just flipped out... apparently the day before (thanksgiving) her rottie and beagle were shot dead by a neighbor. She was devastated and just so happy to see our guys friendly face, she said he made her day. Our guy reacted way different than I've ever seen him I knew something was immediately wrong with this lady (he must have picked up on her emotions being so upset!), instead of being his usual playful self instead he sat down immediately and locked eyes with me, he refused to look at the lady but accepted her petting. I couldn't say no after hearing her story.... You always have to expect the unexpected in public. Dogs pick up on so much more than us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Reminds me of a similar story the other day. We were in home depot on black friday and a lady ran up to our dog and just flipped out... apparently the day before (thanksgiving) her rottie and beagle were shot dead by a neighbor. She was devastated and just so happy to see our guys friendly face, she said he made her day. Our guy reacted way different than I've ever seen him I knew something was immediately wrong with this lady (he must have picked up on her emotions being so upset!), instead of being his usual playful self instead he sat down immediately and locked eyes with me, he refused to look at the lady but accepted her petting. I couldn't say no after hearing her story.... You always have to expect the unexpected in public. Dogs pick up on so much more than us...
OMG ... that is horrible!!! I don't know ...maybe dogs sense the emotionaly troubled??? And give those dog's owners a break???
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
OMG ... that is horrible!!! I don't know ...maybe dogs sense the emotionaly troubled??? And give those dog's owners a break???
Yeah we were really puzzled but didn't want to ask more questions and be rude... this is a pretty nice part of town so I can't imagine where all that took place? Makes me nervous since we hike off leash sometimes around here. I would love to hear others input but I am a true believer that dogs can pick up on our emotions. Gandalf is especially good at this skill (my last dog not so much). The other day I was really sad and he demonstrated another odd behavior I'd never seen before. He jumped up on the couch next to me, laid his head on my chest hard and wrapped his paws around me sort of like a hug and then gave me a kiss lol! Made me feel a million times better and grateful to have such a sensitive pup!
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=GandalfTheShepherd;8792714] Yeah we were really puzzled but didn't want to ask more questions and be rude... this is a pretty nice part of town so I can't imagine where all that took place? Makes me nervous since we hike off leash sometimes around here. I would love to hear others input but I am a true believer that dogs can pick up on our emotions. Gandalf is especially good at this skill (my last dog not so much). The other day I was really sad and he demonstrated another odd behavior I'd never seen before. He jumped up on the couch next to me, laid his head on my chest hard and wrapped his paws around me sort of like a hug and then gave me a kiss lol! Made me feel a million times better and grateful to have such a sensitive pup![/QUOTE]Yeah GSD's ... were not my first choice?? I was an accidental convert?? I'm an unabashed Boxer guy, I luv those dogs ... they made me smile and giggle ... Mr Toads Wild Ride as it were as an owner. Rocky ... was more like "life is serious business!"

Just a much different experience, but I have learned lessons from both breeds ... my next Boxer, will have some pretty, big Paws to fill.

But yeah something about dogs, some of them seem to be able to cut the unstable a break as it were and they know when owners are troubled?? Not sure what that's about but it seems to be there.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

Last edited by Chip18; 12-01-2017 at 11:03 PM.
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Crowned Member

The mentally unstable are everywhere. Never know where they will pop up....
Chip18, dogma13, Sabis mom and 3 others like this.

post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
LOL ... I'm not sure if I should be insulted??? Still as a fellow Boxer owner ... I'm gonna take this is as a compliment.

But I still think, encountering the truly unstable (if temporarily so) has to be a once in a lifetime occurrence???
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
I would love to hear others input but I am a true believer that dogs can pick up on our emotions.
They know! I'm not sure if they pick it up from actual emotions or from body language we're not even conscious of, but GSDs have an almost clairvoyant read on people they're around frequently...not just they're number one human, but others in the family as well! It's one if the many things that make them so freaking awesome!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 01:03 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Aww. Geez I thought I had y'all fooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page