Adopted a 2 year old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Adopted a 2 year old

Hello,
I'm in college and about 2 months ago I adopted a 2 to 2.5 year old german shepherd. He was completely house trained, doesn't chew or destroy anything. He is a very relaxed dog. He listens to me with basic commands like "come" and "sit" Ect. He waits for me to give him permission to eat. Overall a very sweet and behaved dog. However, when ever i take him for walks or around groups of people (bigger than 4) he gets super nervous. If we are out for a walk he wants to run around and pulls on the leash like crazy. Normally, if it's just us, I can run or walk with him and have no problem. If we are in my house and my roommates family comes over he will hide in my room almost the entire time. I want him to be protective so I don't want him craving peoples attention, but I don't want him scared of them either. Is there a way I can help him? I take him to the farmers market on Saturday's and we make slow loops around the outside, away from people, but close enough he still want to run. I make him walk very slowly and sometimes we just sit for 10 minutes and watch then start walking again...is this helpful? I haven't seen much progress. I don't let people pet him. I'm going to work with a trained over break but until then is there anything I can be doing?

Sorry for the long post!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Master Member

Continue building your bond with him. Two months isn?t terribly long....it takes time. Make training fun and positive. I would continue with exposure and making him focus on you when you think he may get nervous. It took a while for my cattle dog to be able to be in large crowds.
Work on building his confidence.....lots of success
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

Become his world. Hand feed him his meals, and then after a while start teaching him new "tricks/obedience" commands for his food. GSDs love to learn and that will help create a bond with you. Most GSDs will bark at strange people. Work on bonding in your house first. I would avoid large crowds until he really knows you are his person. And maybe get even further away from the crowds. Find his "safe zone" first, then just do the sitting and calming. Get his mind on you.Go to Leerburg.com and read and watch all the free info on pack structure (even though it is just you and him) and introducing a new dog to your house.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page