• 2 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By sebrench
  • 5 Post By Bramble
  • 2 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By Davefrida

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Shy pup doesn't like socializing!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole kind of thing with owning a german shepherd (actually it's my first dog), I'm curious to know if any other owners had a pup that didn't like socializing and was afraid of strangers, car noises, hesitant to walk forward during walks, alert of other dogs and barking, shy and timid. I talked to my Vet about it and she said it wasn't normal for a puppy to do that, originally the pup that I adopted was with his brother but parted ways due to the adoption fees. He is 3 months old and doesn't like to go out and explore walks, if he doesn't walk anymore I just carry him. To socialize a dog do we mean socializing with other dogs and people? because currently my dog has only been socializing with people and children, my brothers and sisters come inside his exercise pen to play with him every day, we go on walks minimum 2 times a day and play in the yard 3 times a day, I'm worried the shyness will eventually turn into fear aggression towards strangers, any help? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Some pups are not so bold and I won't push one that isn't, like your's. I think you're doing real well with him by taking it slow. Pups also go through fear periods.

These past threads can give you further information:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...alization.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ar-period.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:26 PM

Socializing with a shy dog is best done by observing the world from a comfortable distance.Decrease the distance gradually over time as his confidence grows.
car2ner and tim_s_adams like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

I'm not a trainer or breeder, just a dog owner, but I would probably keep working on the puppy's basic obedience. When the puppy is afraid of something, I would remain calm, happy, and matter-of-fact. I wouldn't try to comfort the puppy (in a high, soothing voice, because that might reinforce the skittish behavior.) From a safe distance, before the puppy gets really stressed, I'd give a command like sit. That way the puppy sees that you're in charge of the situation, and it has something to focus on besides what scares him. Then praise the puppy calmly when it obeys and continue on your way. I'd keep taking the puppy out in the everyday places that you want to take him, but as others have said, I'd keep it slow. I would avoid dog parks, but expose him to dogs that are leashed and under control. When your puppy is old enough some obedience classes with a GSD-experienced trainer might be good way to socialize your puppy in a controlled setting.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 AM

all great advice. Also remember that confidence comes with success. Find ways to start building little successes, for instance a little sitting or waiting or finding a toy. Once the pup finds out that when they are with you, they have fun and are successful, it will come out of it's shell a bit more. Your pup may grow up to be a dog that is always slow to warm up to new things but, if he realizes he is always safe when he listens to you then he should be a very good pet and buddy.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Master Member

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 PM

I really like this article Bramble shared, right now my puppy is 10Wks and was wondering about this socialization part, really a different point of view on the subject, i was more inclined for "old school" way of socialization, for sure now i'll have this information on mind for his socialization development.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Knighted Member

You didn't mention how long this puppy has been with you, but the added trauma of being separated from his brother suggests that he's had a lot of changes to get used to recently! Many folks suggest at least two weeks to let a new pup learn the new environment/routine, but for your puppy it may take a little longer because of the brother. That means mostly keep him home, in the house or in your yard, few new people or dogs, short walks on quiet streets. Just give him all the time he needs to adjust to his new surroundings and you might find he'll come around once he's more comfortable.

People differ wildly on their expectations for a new puppy, but there are some very knowledgeable GSD people who don't really train a new puppy for the first few months, and some hold off even longer, which allows the puppy time to mature a bit and just bond with you. Of course you have to teach them house manners and such, but just focus on the dog in front of you. Watch his body language, learn what kinds of things he's fearful of, and what kinds of things he's okay with. Don't push him beyond his threshold for new things...introduce them slowly at a distance so he's not uncomfortable. Then as he grows more accustomed to them (whatever "they" are) you can gradually move closer.

Congratulations on your new puppy, and Welcome to the forum!
Mary Beth and miker911 like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:59 PM

I got my pup at 2 months old she's 3 months now when I first brought her home she was extremely shy and sacred 1st 2 days of everything and everyone then she slowly got used to the house and people of the house within the week, for walks she was very afraid to walk and would pause and hide if she could for and two weeks but slowly she is getting used to everything give it time lol I am also a 1st time pet owner
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole kind of thing with owning a german shepherd (actually it's my first dog), I'm curious to know if any other owners had a pup that didn't like socializing and was afraid of strangers, car noises, hesitant to walk forward during walks, alert of other dogs and barking, shy and timid. I talked to my Vet about it and she said it wasn't normal for a puppy to do that, originally the pup that I adopted was with his brother but parted ways due to the adoption fees. He is 3 months old and doesn't like to go out and explore walks, if he doesn't walk anymore I just carry him. To socialize a dog do we mean socializing with other dogs and people? because currently my dog has only been socializing with people and children, my brothers and sisters come inside his exercise pen to play with him every day, we go on walks minimum 2 times a day and play in the yard 3 times a day, I'm worried the shyness will eventually turn into fear aggression towards strangers, any help? Thanks!
Couple of things going on that makes your concern about fear-biting real: 1, the pup appears shy with sensitivity to noises, etc.; 2, this is your first dog; and three, we are socializing/concerned about socializations.

So, we have an inexperienced owner socializing a shy puppy.

Go slow. Yeah, well, first the puppy has to trust you, has to believe you can protect him. The way you do this, is to be stable and confident and consistent with your dog all the time. Don't give your puppy a reason to distrust you. Don't freak out about chewing or peeing, don't tell the dog to do something 3 times and give up today, and get frustrated with her tomorrow. Training teaches you to communicate properly with your puppy, how and when to praise/reward, how to be consistent with your words and body language, how to tell the puppy once and then follow through, how to start and stop training with something fun that the puppy will be successful with. And so forth. As the puppy feels more and more comfortable with you, you can then get a little closer to other things.

I don't quite understand the bolded sentence. Was the puppy sold with his littermate?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page