Adopted rescue. Have questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WynWins

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Adopted rescue. Have questions

I adopted a supposedly purebred German Shepherd from a rescue this past Saturday and they said he's 8 weeks old, but after taking him to the vet and looking up pictures online of puppies he seems to be 5-6 weeks (vet said 6). However based off size charts and the such he seems to be light for 6 weeks, weighing only 7.4lbs. Yes, I know having a puppy at this age poses future problems and I would take him back to the rescue but they seem to be doing something shady as they said he was 8 weeks and I found a Craigslist ad with the same exact pictures of the "parents" they had posted at the adoption event. I've also had a little experience with a pre-8 week old puppy as my now 2 year old Siberian Husky was 5 weeks old when I got her from a breeder that wasn't taking care of his puppies.

1) Is 7.4lbs under what he should be at about 6 weeks of age? I know it sounds dumb as I've been through this once before but I'm scared he won't grow to be "big"
2) Should his ears be standing up? They currently do.
3) He's black and cream colored but has a white-tipped tail. Is this normal?

Here are pictures: <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/NMsxS"><a href="//imgur.com/NMsxS"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

I couldn't get your photos link to work, but I'm sure he's adorable. 7.4 lbs is fine. He's going to do a lot of growing. Your lucky the ears are up already but don't worry if they come down during teething-they'll come back uo. Yes, there can be a bit of white on the tail and also his coat will change a lot also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch! I think I got the upload to work. I'm loving his current color too! =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6008.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	454714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6027.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	454722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6030.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	454730  
Mary Beth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 PM

Mary Beth, I played around some with the link in his code.
I think this is the set of pictures OP meant to link:

imgur.com/a/NMsxS

Very adorable I have to say! Sadly my knowledge is limited in regards to raising puppies but I hope other can give you the advice you're looking for.

Best of luck with him!

(I can't post full links yet since this is my first post, or I would've left it in url format, but it should still work!)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:39 AM
Knighted Member

He's a very cute puppy! There are several other recent threads regarding care for such a young puppy. It's not a desirable situation, but provided you pay close attention to his nutritional needs, it can work out okay. Best if luck to you both!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page