People with an older dog and puppy, Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

People with an older dog and puppy, Help!

Hi all. I'm simply devastated. Before you read any further, my dogs are always vet checked with any issue and they have seen their trainer.

1.5 months ago, I got a new male GSD puppy (Rambo) I also have a 2.5 year old male GSD (Rocky).

The first 2 weeks were fine! Shortly after Rambo stuck his nose into the water/food dish where Rocky was and his nipped him on his nose/mouth. Fine. It was a learning lesson.

2 weeks later, Rambo came running at rocky and grabbed onto his face (not that dramatic but he hauled a bit of hair from Rocky's face, and I suppose where he was back on from the puppy and it frightened up and he bit Rambo's neck. No real damage, punctured slightly, but none the less, cleaned him up and he was right back at Rocky's face again.

1 week later (just 2 nights ago) I brought my dogs to a friends. She has a king shepherd but very friendly. We were all talking amongst ourselves, and Rocky had my friends dog toys. He laid it down in front of him and Rambo came running from the side and tried to grab it. Somewhere in the crossfire, Rocky took a small chunk from the side of Rambo's ear.

All these situations, I know that Rocky is resource guarding. I'm not sure what I can do to break it. He is obsessed with his toys, always has one in his mouth.

What I'm most afraid of is that my puppy Rambo, will become aggressive because he's continuously nipped.

My trainers say "oh, I guess rambo is a slow learner" and that rocky is teaching him his boundaries and manners. But how far does it have to go? I'm full of anxiety as I'm afraid he'll get the puppy worse next time. However, Rambo is still playing and interacting with Rocky after these incidents! He's still fine with my family's other 5 dogs with I visit them. He's started his obedience classes next Sunday.

I need to hear from people who has went through what I'm going through! Because I'm beating myself up over it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:38 AM

To start, pick up all toys. The toys belong to the humans not the dogs. The humans let the dogs play with them (best to use toys for human and dog interplay). When you feed the dogs a long lasting treat, separate the dogs. When the dogs are mature and you find out if they each have a favorite toy that the other dog couldn't care less about, then you might leave a couple out and about. Rambo need to learn to to leave Rocky alone, but Rocky needs to learn that he doesn't have to worry about his stuff, you are in charge of it.
wolfy dog likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
To start, pick up all toys. The toys belong to the humans not the dogs. The humans let the dogs play with them (best to use toys for human and dog interplay). When you feed the dogs a long lasting treat, separate the dogs. When the dogs are mature and you find out if they each have a favorite toy that the other dog couldn't care less about, then you might leave a couple out and about. Rambo need to learn to to leave Rocky alone, but Rocky needs to learn that he doesn't have to worry about his stuff, you are in charge of it.
Great advice! Rocky needs to be a few steps lowered on the social ladder in your home. But don't underestimate the pup as either. If there is trouble, time out for both. Just because the pup is cute, he shouldn't be favored. I do think that Rocky's responses are over the top though so that definitely needs to be addressed.
car2ner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

How should I address his reactions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Great advice! Rocky needs to be a few steps lowered on the social ladder in your home. But don't underestimate the pup as either. If there is trouble, time out for both. Just because the pup is cute, he shouldn't be favored. I do think that Rocky's responses are over the top though so that definitely needs to be addressed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky18! View Post
The best thing to do is hire a trainer to come to the house, someone experienced with the breed. IN the meantime you can read up on NILIF. Plenty of info here on this forum.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I have a trainer. What's NILIF?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky18! View Post
The best thing to do is hire a trainer to come to the house, someone experienced with the breed. IN the meantime you can read up on NILIF. Plenty of info here on this forum.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:03 PM

Nothing In Life Is Free. You want something you have to earn it. No treats because they looked at you cutely. They need to speak first, perhaps. No toys because you are too tired to play with them. They have to go get the toy or give you a paw, better yet, play along with you. They want to go outside, they sit quietly at the door first (impulse control is a Great Skill).

Wolfy is right. We have plenty of advice in some of our threads. It has helped many families.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

OP, what does your trainer say? To me it doesn't sound like a hopeless situation. It took me two weeks to introduce Deja to a pup. She hated him initially but they became great friends gradually. For you it may take extra time since you have two males. But I have done that successfully in the past as well. It will take time, pulling out some hair(yours!) but in the end it will be worth it. Do not give them physically access to each other yet. One is crated, the other one leashed, outside and inside until things relax. Rocky needs a lot of exercise and training to be content and to learn to focus on you. Keep both in classes. You may have to always use vigilance, even down the road, and crate them in separate areas to avoid 'looks'. especially when they have no supervision. Remember that we all struggle through puppy hoods. I usually regret getting a pup two weeks later but working through it, doing what you gotta do, pays off big time in the end; two years from now, sorry
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice!!

Quote:
OP, what does your trainer say? To me it doesn't sound like a hopeless situation. It took me two weeks to introduce Deja to a pup. She hated him initially but they became great friends gradually. For you it may take extra time since you have two males. But I have done that successfully in the past as well. It will take time, pulling out some hair(yours!) but in the end it will be worth it. Do not give them physically access to each other yet. One is crated, the other one leashed, outside and inside until things relax. Rocky needs a lot of exercise and training to be content and to learn to focus on you. Keep both in classes. You may have to always use vigilance, even down the road, and crate them in separate areas to avoid 'looks'. especially when they have no supervision. Remember that we all struggle through puppy hoods. I usually regret getting a pup two weeks later but working through it, doing what you gotta do, pays off big time in the end; two years from now, sorry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Hi Rocky18, and greetings from a fellow Newfoundlander! (where are you located?... we're on Fogo Island) I am doubtful that you have a permanent, nor particularly serious, problem with your critters. In our past experience we have learned that these issues, more often than not, have a way of working themselves out all on their own, and it will soon be a peaceful, loving relationship all around. But please keep us updated as to your progress.

My wife and I are about to get our first shepherd in almost 30 years, (just two more weeks!) so we are getting super-excited, and I suppose even maybe a bit nervous, as we are surely a little rusty in puppy-raising after all this time. We also have a most awesome and beautiful purebred Shih Tzu named Chrissy, and although she has almost zero experience around other dogs, we are confident that the two of them will soon become the best of friends, despite their huge size difference. You see, we recently left little Chrissy in St. John's for our daughter to dogsit while we traveled in Africa for 6 weeks, and to our surprise, within just two days of meeting her first dog in her 9+ years, Chrissy became the closest of buddies with our daughter's enormous black lab. We were shocked, to say the least! Anyway, this has given us encouragement to believe that she will also fall in love with our soon-to-arrive Sheba, who is a positively stunning 5 week old female shepherd, who has two gigantic, fine specimens for parents, so she too will most likely be a very big girl herself soon!

Please keep us updated as to your situation, but try to to worry too much, as I think things will begin to settle down, and will work themselves out in due time.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

this is our little Sheba at 5 weeks... photo taken last week

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page