Rescue Puppy - And New to GSD! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Rescue Puppy - And New to GSD!

Hi! I'm new here, I own an 8 month old white German Shepherd named Stig. He was an owner surrender, they bought him as a baby puppy and didn't realize he was going to be so big, so they turned him over to a local rescue, where we recently adopted him. We lost a 13 year old Queensland this summer and my remaining Golden Retriever was so lonely without her friend, so we got a buddy for her. She ignored him for the first few days but now they are best buds.

First, a question:
Do these big dogs get growing pains? Stig developed a limp over the last couple days, on his right front paw, but I can't find anything wrong with it. Nothing is cut or tender to the touch on his paw or leg, he still runs around and plays, just limps. Occasionally he whines about it but he won't just lay down and rest. He looks pitiful all limpy. But I can't afford a bunch of expensive X-rays and tests right this second, especially if growing pains or something are common. Obviously I'll take him to the vet if it persists. But I'm new to the breed so I thought I'd ask here first.

He's 8 months and was 75 pounds at his 7 month vet appt. when he was neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum. I don't recall any growing pains, but it's not uncommon at all for puppies to tweak a joint or bruise a paw pad and favor it for a day or two. If it lasts longer than that, or doesn't seem to improve I would definitely take his to a vet.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 09-11-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Left something out
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Knighted Member

It could be panosteitis (pano). However, they diagnose that by ruling out other stuff, plus it can range in severity so you might want to get a prescription for Rimadyl or something to have on hand during flares. So unfortunately I think you do need to take him to the vet and shell out for some X-rays.
Deb, GypsyGhost and redjeepchick like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Definitely will take him to the vet for X-rays if needed! Just hate rushing things to be told, no big deal, if it's something that will clear up quickly on its own. It's only been about 2 days so far. But I hate to see him in pain!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

He's getting worse already. Now one of his back legs seem to be hurting him. Looks like we're making a vet appt first thing in the morning. And the silly boy won't stop following me around the house and rest! I'm going to have to just crate him so he'll stay off it. Eesh. How long does this pano thing last?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Knighted Member

In addition to pano (which is what came to mind first) it could be Lyme disease. I would have a full tick panel run, just to make sure.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Knighted Member

Sorry to hear he's getting worse, and unfortunately that does sound more like pano. Please update when you find out more.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 PM
Knighted Member

Most common scenario is that Pano goes away at sexual maturity, around 16 months; but it has been known to last into middle age in some cases, up to 4-6 yrs. Sorry! We'll keep hoping for the best...

Tim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeepchick View Post
He's getting worse already. Now one of his back legs seem to be hurting him. Looks like we're making a vet appt first thing in the morning. And the silly boy won't stop following me around the house and rest! I'm going to have to just crate him so he'll stay off it. Eesh. How long does this pano thing last?
It can depend. Pano is self limiting and my vet told me that most cases drop off by age 2. It just depends on the dog (not helpful, I know).

GypsyGhost's suggestion of a tick panel is a good idea also. Especially because pano is diagnosed in part by ruling other stuff out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

We have an appt for Wed morning, which is the earliest I could get since he's a new patient for our vet. He's on flea/tick preventative so hopefully Lyme is ruled out quickly. We live in Central Ca and Lyme isn't super common in our area. And it changes legs, though always seems to be the front left more often than the others. But it does switch and it ranges in severity. The rescue we got him from suggested asprin, and massaging it in the meantime. It doesn't seem to hurt enough to limit his playfulness and activity, not sure if that's a good thing or not. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page