Socializing with cat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Socializing with cat?

We've had our German Shepherd puppy for about two months now (she's four months old) and since we've kept her downstairs, she's had minimal interaction with our cats. At the beginning, we had them meet, but she'd bark at my cat and my cat would run and hide. It's difficult to get them to see each other without the cat running off. They're fine being separated by the gate (my pup can't access any of the upstairs rooms) but I'm worried that once she gets bigger and has access to more of the house that she'll start terrorizing the cats. This is something we didn't really think through properly and need some suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Knighted Member

A cat that runs makes the situation more difficult, because the dog's prey instinct kicks in.

I did have a situation like this, and the solution was very, very careful supervision. Luckily both the dog and I spent a lot of time in my study, so I could keep an eye on things. As soon as the cat came in, and the dog would start to tense up, I'd tell him, "Ranger, NO!"

If he didn't relax, I'd immediately get up and block him from reaching the cat.

Within a short time, he and the cat became good friends, and would play together, and even sleep together!

My current cat stood his ground when introduced to my dogs. This makes it SO much easier! If they got too close, he'd raise a paw, and get ready to whack their noses. Once they lost interest, he'd go and find a safe place to hide.

He rules the roost now, and bosses the dogs around!

Note: it is important the cats have somewhere safe to retreat to. Some cats need to get up high to feel safe, so a cat tree might be a good investment.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 PM

The individual cat makes such a difference. My Siamese cats are terrible at being cats. They never hiss, or scratch or bite. They never jump up on something high if they get chased. Mimi runs into corner and turns into a possum. I have baby gates, so my cats are safe. I never leave the cats unattended with the dogs.

That said, my 12 month old Scarlet has been learning to "be nice" to the kitties. Mimi loves to roll around on her cat tree and swipe at Scarlet. It's a game.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the tips! I was hoping to get the cats acquainted with my pup, but if nothing works out we'll at least make sure the cats have a place that they feel safe and that my dog can't reach them, even when left unattended.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM

Mine did exactly the same it took me about a month to make him stop run and bark at the cat but what I realized is when he will come down because he's eight months now then they will get along. The cat has actually pet him but he got so excited and the cat got scared. Just be very careful because most people think that the dog can harm the cat but actually the cat is more dangerous because she will go straight for the face and worst-case scenario scratch his eyes and the dog goes blind I have actually a lot of friends that didn't think the cat will harm the dog and actually laughed about it and three of them are blind. It's so sad because we are responsible.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:56 PM

*come=calm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page