Sleep for 7 mo. old Hudson - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Thecowboysgirl
  • 1 Post By Thecowboysgirl
  • 1 Post By bkernan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Sleep for 7 mo. old Hudson

I just wanted to get some input on puppy and the amount of sleep they need. I run a sales team for a start up company and therefore sleep very little (it's all hands on deck, so we don't have a marketing team and have a small headcount overall).

Hudson is 7 months old and he's great - but I've noticed that he gets a bit grumpy at times (just some training days he has less focus and can be less aloof and more scared other days and just, well, seems a bit like a grumpy toddler if that makes sense). I'm worried that me going to bed so late (2ish - wake up around 6:30 or 7 am) and my husband currently home all day (jump hunting currently), he may not be getting the sleep he needs. If my husband goes to sleep before me Hudson goes to sleep with him, but I feel like he wakes when I get in bed and doesn't get as much crate time for nice long naps as he normally would if we were both working.

I may be overthinking it, as my Dad said while rolling his eyes "he's a dog, he'll sleep when he needs to," but I think given he's pretty active during the day we may need to put him in crate for some blocks of time even when home to sleep. Has anyone had an issue like this? Any suggestions? Am I being a hover (dog)mom?

Brynn and baby bear Hudson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

yes - "America" is sleep deprived . Almost all of us .

dogs tag along and share our environments - noise , stimulation and prolonged unnatural light cycles .

these affect hormones , shedding , reproductive cycles and mood.

the best thing is to choose a time - 9 pm? and put dog into "his" space , whether room or crate which has lights out , peace and quiet .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
yes - "America" is sleep deprived . Almost all of us .

dogs tag along and share our environments - noise , stimulation and prolonged unnatural light cycles .

these affect hormones , shedding , reproductive cycles and mood.

the best thing is to choose a time - 9 pm? and put dog into "his" space , whether room or crate which has lights out , peace and quiet .
Thanks carmspack! So when we go in to go to sleep which might be midnight or at two separate times should we just sneak into bed? Or it doesn't matter if he wakes up right? I think this will be a game changer for him (it's the little things!).

thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

I work partly from home and I have definitely noticed that my dogs do not always get the rest they need unless I make it happen.

Our issue isn't usually at night time but during the day. Stuff going on all day, people in and out. They want to be with me, involved, and they aren't resting when they need it.

I put them in kennels for a few hours when they need it for some down time. and I have finally figured out a way to move some of what I am doing out of the house so we will have our peace and quiet again.

if it is a very busy day and I plan to do some big training for something I'll be sure and kennel the boy for a few hours leading up so he is rested. If we train early for something, like he is going to dock diving practice, I'll kennel him for a couple hours when we get home so he can get a good nap.

My girl has always had more skill at sleeping amidst chaos than him. So I make sure he gets kennel time when he is pooped because he doesn't just sack out in the middle of a busy room or if I am buzzing around.
bkernan likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

by the way mine too totally acts like a little kid when he is over tired. he is more whiny, sloppy, and less resilient across the board.
bkernan likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
by the way mine too totally acts like a little kid when he is over tired. he is more whiny, sloppy, and less resilient across the board.
Thank you Thecowboysgirl - seriously, I thought I might be nuts having my husband put him in the kennel for blocks of time but I think it's for the best as he was SO MUCH BETTER tonight during training. Wow. Just like kids I guess. Tired tantrums are a thing for dogs, too!

So early to bed for Hud tonight and definite defined nap times when and if we are home all day (I also work from home, so I totally get what you're saying). So funny how sleep can make or break his mood, it makes so much sense and I didn't realize it until I started working much longer hours. Little dude doesn't want to miss out!
carmspack likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

It's not nuts...

it's not the "usual" problem American dogs have

if he seems tired & then you rest him and he is 100% better voila, problem solved. Dog just needs some time away. My downstairs kennels are where my dogs know they can just shut off, shut down and sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page