What should the first day/week look like? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Apex1
  • 2 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By Grez

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

What should the first day/week look like?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I REALLY want to have the best experience for my new pup. He will be almost 10 weeks old when we get him, but trying to figure out the best day to pick him up.

We were planning to get him this Sat but doesn't work for breeder any more. Our day was wide open. Sunday is crazy with activities and we'd have to get him kind of late in the day, leaving not much time to socialize and meet the family. The other option is tomorrow - however, my husband is out of town and I have a prior obligation I volunteered for that is 2 hours in the evening. So he would have to be crated, alone, during that time. He'd have a few hours to socialize with me and my children but I worry about him being alone on his first day. Also he'd have to be crated while I pick him up in the car since I'd have to go alone.

We are so anxious to get him but want whats best.

This leads to my second question....

What should the first week look like in terms of socialization? I've watched lots of videos and I know its important to have him out and about with new experiences, but how should I handle encounters with other people? Avoid them or welcome them? My next door neighbor has a new puppy as well (he's about 12 weeks old) so I'm assuming we should avoid having them interact until they are both up to date on vaccinations? I'm planning on Puppy Kindergarten but that wouldn't be for a week so I wanted to make sure I do the best I can leading up until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Master Member

We stayed home introduced play items, played crate games and had family visit. Imho crates are a must and done right a thing a dog loves and will settle in better than loose in the house. That has been my experience, our crate has been invaluable. If you have to be away set up the crate so he has an area to potty in separate from where he will eat and/or sleep. My pup never went potty in his crate, I think it may not be a habit you would want to start, but sometimes I understand necessary.

I think how you handle encounters with other people depends on how the puppy reacts to those encounters. In the beginning I did let people pet our puppy, he loves people. As he has matured we try to not let people pet the pup as often and just try to expose him to new environments, working on building impulse control and focus on his family. Our pup has had a couple of fear stages where he just wasn't comfortable with people rushing him.

There is a sticky note in the puppy training section called rethinking popular socialization, I highly recommend reading it, all of it. Got our puppy at 7 weeks and is now 7 months and the information I found in that thread has been very true and helpful.

Enjoy the new puppy! Post a picture when you get him.
VTBunny likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM

It wouldn't hurt to wait another week just so you are are in a good state of mind and not over anxious.His first week or so at home should be all about simply getting acclimated to his new family and routine.Overwhelming him with new people,places,and things can make for an anxious puppy.Read the sticky @Apex1 suggested.Enjoy your new pup and take things easy
wolfy dog and VTBunny like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 PM

Hello VTBunny,

I personally took a 1 week holiday from work when i got my puppy! He is now 6 months old. I also agree you should wait till your family are all available to enjoy the great experience of welcoming your new puppy into your family. I think it would be for the best for yourselves and the puppy. I would just stop at home and spend the time between yourselves and the puppy and not venture out into the big wide world till the puppy has got used to you all. I also would wait till the puppy has had all of their vaccinations injections then slowly introduce them to the great outdoors, other dogs and people.

I think the first week is important to create that new bond with your puppy.
VTBunny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page