Question about biting not teething. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DieselWeaselGSD

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Question about biting not teething.

I'm new to the whole process and I'm assuming that when you all say mouthing that would be simply seeking comfort for cutting teeth. Our 12 week old is just straight biting at this point. We do our best at redirection but even with the ouch or yelp, he seems to get more motivated by that.
He bites feet, hand, wrist and pretty much everything he can get to. I'm going to start taking him to puppy/obedience classes. Will this help with the biting? It comes and goes with him mostly when tired.
Both my wife and I work so he is at the puppy day care so he can eat lunch and not be at the house all alone. Should we just crate him at the house? His behavior is usually better during the weekend when we have him all day.
Sorry so long, we're just definitely concerned and looking for some insight or ideas. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

I would keep him at home. Puppy daycare isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I think dogs pick up more bad behaviors there than anything else. Your puppy needs more down time than he is likely getting at daycare. He will grow up to be the kind of dog that is a busy body, wont settle, if all he is used to is endless play time with other puppies. This is a time in his life that he should not want anything more than to be with you. I would eliminate all daycare at this point. Maybe a few play sessions on weekends with dogs that you trust. I bet he is so tired and frustrated, he is taking it out on you. He should be fine being kept in a crate all day while you are at work. If you must, you can pay someone to come in and feed him till he is a little older.

Whenever he bites, say "no" sternly, but not yelling, and offer a toy. He takes it, do a little tug and praise. He will learn it is more fun to play with toys than your hands or feet.

By the way, your dog is in no way "different" or a problem child. GSD are notorious for this biting behavior. I think it is exacerbated due to him being overly tired/stimulated all day.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eddie1976E; 07-17-2017 at 09:50 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying eddie! So would it be OK to split his food for the day into morning and night? My wife and I both work so he would be alone until 330 pm when I get home so he would be left around 7 am. Do you think that is a long stretch for him to hold his bowels? We've thought that he isn't sleeping much and he usually won't sleep at home unless he does go in the crate or playpen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 PM

My pup was a real biter, then the neighbors got a husky pup, less than a week she became very gentle, guess she bit the husky pup and got bit back, don't think she realized how painful it was before she was on the receiving end!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeaselGSD View Post
Thanks for replying eddie! So would it be OK to split his food for the day into morning and night? My wife and I both work so he would be alone until 330 pm when I get home so he would be left around 7 am. Do you think that is a long stretch for him to hold his bowels? We've thought that he isn't sleeping much and he usually won't sleep at home unless he does go in the crate or playpen.
They say by 12 weeks old, they are biologically old enough to hold their waste management systems :-)

I fed mine 3 meals a day for the first 6 months. One in the morning, one when I got home (after he settled down) and one before "last call". For some time, I had a girl stop by and let him out at lunch time and feed him, but I think that was overkill. She put him back in the crate, no playing or anything.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:11 PM

He's biting because he is teething.In the puppy forum here there are two "stickys" at the top of the section with a wealth of ideas on how to stop the biting.Sometimes redirection doesn't work because the puppy learns if he bites you he's rewarded instantly with a toy and play time.
Sometimes if you can find a way to make biting you unpleasant,he stops of his own volition,only then does he get his toy and play time.He's rewarded for not biting.My particular method has always been to make a fist and push into puppy's mouth(gently!) until he backs off.If you don't mind doggy slobber,lol!
If he's just tired after being at daycare all day maybe he just needs dinner and a nap in his crate to help him wind down.It will get better!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Knighted Member

No worries. Some day you'll look back and miss the puppy biting and all his craziness.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

12 weeks was the absolute worst stage for us for biting... I was about ready to get rid of him, nothing seemed to be working... keep at it, be consistent with whatever method you are using... give it 2 weeks and he'll suddenly be a different dog. But be consistent, don't give up, it is going to click for him any day now
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Good ideas guys took off work 2 hours early and came home to a much more calmer and receptive puppy. No accidents. I know this is just a stepping stone. He does seem less anxious. I thought the puppy day care was good for him. Thank God. I think I need to adjust his crate some too.
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page