Small GSD's - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Small GSD's

When I first got Blitz I was so obsessed with him being a small GSD, I've always wanted this big dog that was almost intimidating(silly I know), but now he's almost 1 year old I've come to accept it and actually enjoy his size. He's almost 12 months and about 70ish pounds(male). This is my first german shepherd so i guess getting him helped with my learning curve.

Anyone else have a similar sized GSD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Views:	10829
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	427738  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

My girl Charlie is about 23 inches tall and weighs right around 62 lbs. My other shepherds Daisy and Lucky were both oversized. Charlie size will benefit her in the long run as long as We watch her weight. She is easier to fit in the car and her size make her .

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Master Member

These are my two. Mac (the black and tan) is a 9 year old female. She weighs about 60lbs and is smallish and I like her that way. She's my marathon training partner and her size makes her perfect for it. Wolf, the pup, was 14 weeks in this photo. He is now 17 weeks and is as tall, if not taller, than Mac. He's going to be a big boy, maybe even oversized. Not sure yet how I feel about that as I would like him to also come running with me. We'll see.
Attached Images

selzer, Suki's Mom, Deb and 1 others like this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbale View Post
These are my two. Mac (the black and tan) is a 9 year old female. She weighs about 60lbs and is smallish and I like her that way. She's my marathon training partner and her size makes her perfect for it. Wolf, the pup, was 14 weeks in this photo. He is now 17 weeks and is as tall, if not taller, than Mac. He's going to be a big boy, maybe even oversized. Not sure yet how I feel about that as I would like him to also come running with me. We'll see.
Wolf is adorable.

The more I've read about german shepherds the more i've come to realize that mine is ideal sized. I always thought of GSD's as these tough guard dogs so obviously first thing that came to mind was weight. More weight...tougher dog. However now i understand that most of the time a larger sized dog tends to be on the slower end where as a slimmer GSD will be more active.
kimbale likes this.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Our first GSD, Arrow, is 8 months old and 54 lbs. She has really slowed down on her growth, and we think she will finish at about 60 lbs. Which is good with one small child in the house. But you wouldn't believe how many comments about her size we get when we are out with her. "Oh, is she full blood? She is so small." "Wow, she is really little for a German Shepherd!"
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

I wouldn't call any of these dogs small, although I know what you mean by it.. All are beautiful and good looking! Very nice
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

This is LB. She is 21.7" and 54# at almost 4. I like my tough little girl and her size doesn't stop her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LBstack52817.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	427754  
Attached Images

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 AM

I'm a bit confused that we have a 1 year old at 70 lbs and 8 month old at 54 lbs and they're considered small. Both have a good bit of growing left to do. Our last girl was 104 lbs, but only 68-70 at a year. Even at 2 I don't think she was over 80. GSDs dont stop growing until about 2.5.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:43 AM

My girls is 3 years old and was 47# when she was weighed last. It's hard to keep any weight on her but at a healthy weight she should be in the 50's. Very bottom of the standard but it doesn't make her any less of a GSD. Your pup sounds good sized! I hope you enjoy him!
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzRomman View Post
Wolf is adorable.

The more I've read about german shepherds the more i've come to realize that mine is ideal sized. I always thought of GSD's as these tough guard dogs so obviously first thing that came to mind was weight. More weight...tougher dog. However now i understand that most of the time a larger sized dog tends to be on the slower end where as a slimmer GSD will be more active.
Thanks! He's a little terror, but is too adorable to ever get cross with. lol!

I think a lot of people think that GSDs are supposed to be these massive dogs, but in reality the standard calls for females 50-70ish and males 60-90ish. Anything more and you start to get an oversized dog. They're meant to be endurance animals, which means lean is better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 5.03.50 PM.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	427778  
bkernan likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page