Hip Dysplasia: FHO vs. TPO - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Hip Dysplasia: FHO vs. TPO

Hey guys. Athena is 8 months old, 23in and weighs 55lbs. So right after Christmas, we noticed she was starting to limp, took her in on January 4th to have her hips examined where the vet said she was really tight, especially on the right but since she was still really active to just watch it and have her rest a bit more. Fast forward 2 weeks and she starts with the bunny hopping. X-ray was done today and bingo, we have hip dysplasia with short femoral necks. My poor baby!

I've done plenty of research on both the double/triple pelvic osteotomy and the femoral head osteotomy. Now I need personal experience and stories of dogs who have undergone either of these procedures. How was the surgery, any complications, recover time, therapy post surgery, long term effects, and residual pain.

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156_1484699393853.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	402969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157_1484699409614.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	402977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158_1484699515695.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	587.4 KB
ID:	403001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159_1484699524168.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	403009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

I have two that have had FHOs on both hips(total of 4 surgeries). I thought about hip replacement but after research and talking to people with experience with it I decided on FHOs. I couldn't find anyone that did not have problems with hip replacements, everything from infection to not taking and ending with FHOs.

The rehab is super important. Don't bother with surgery if rehab isn't gojnv to be done. Both of mine have healed well without any limps. The younger dog healed faster then the older dog, but I expected that.

These are my stories:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...riever-16.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...dysplasia.html

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Crowned Member

Those hips do not appear to me to necessitate that surgery, I would wait a couple of months and see how see moves. There could have been some pano contributing to the bunny hopping. Not saying they are ideal hips, but I've seen worse hips that were able to work in military and police.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Those hips do not appear to me to necessitate that surgery, I would wait a couple of months and see how see moves. There could have been some pano contributing to the bunny hopping. Not saying they are ideal hips, but I've seen worse hips that were able to work in military and police.
They don't look all that bad to me, either. I'm seeing decent coverage. Of course, I'm not an expert. Just someone who's owned a lot of GSDs over the years.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

That's kinda why I like the idea of FHO... it gives us time to see how she does as opposed to TPO where we only have the next 4 months to act. But even in the last few days she's been a lot less willing to use the right leg and is having issues with sitting :/

Our vet is super conservative so I know he wouldn't have suggested surgery unless he thought it was necessary.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I think the bigger problem with her hips isn't the acetabulum coverage, it's how short her femoral necks are.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3GSD View Post
I think the bigger problem with her hips isn't the acetabulum coverage, it's how short her femoral necks are.
I don't think I'm visualizing it. Does anyone have an X-ray of decent hips they'd be willing to post?

I'll see if I can post Murph's, he has lousy coverage but I think the femoral heads are ok.

I have no idea why it's upside down. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	403313  

Last edited by zetti; 01-18-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Oops
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Does Murph's hips cause him pain?? Athenas tendons and ligaments are so short and tight wish is a result of how short her femoral neck is. I just don't want her to be in pain.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

The necks are short, no question, the issue is whether she is in pain or has abnormal movement as a result. If your vet feels strong, then go with your vet.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
I don't think I'm visualizing it. Does anyone have an X-ray of decent hips they'd be willing to post?

I'll see if I can post Murph's, he has lousy coverage but I think the femoral heads are ok.

I have no idea why it's upside down. Sorry.
Here you go. OFA Good
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page