Get the Dog use to Guns - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deb
  • 1 Post By ausdland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Get the Dog use to Guns

How exactly would you go about getting your dog associated with guns going off so it doesn't get startled?

Hello!

Current Dog(s) : Luger GSD Male, Black and Tan Born 8/3/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Knighted Member

I have always just took my dog out with me while shooting. First couple times kept them on a six foot leash right by me. After a couple shots they usually just slept. At that point I would turn them loose to run around and play while shooting.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

If you don't shoot yourself, do you know someone who does? Is there a shooting range near you that you can ask about being able to take your dog to? Or to park in the parking lot? I live with my neighbors shooting all the time. We do it occasionally. I also live close to a military range so have all kinds of things going off occasionally, some big enough to shake the windows and house. Not all my dogs are good with the sounds, even if raised with gun shots and the sounds from the range. Some are still gun shy. My Dobe was horribly gun shy, she'd try to go through a steel door to get in to go hide in her crate. My previous GSDs could have cared less. My toys could care less. So far none of it has bothered Enya. How does your dog do currently with loud sudden noises? If they bother him I wouldn't be too close the first time a gun goes off, I'd work from a distance and move closer as he tolerates it.
Chip18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
If you don't shoot yourself, do you know someone who does? Is there a shooting range near you that you can ask about being able to take your dog to? Or to park in the parking lot? I live with my neighbors shooting all the time. We do it occasionally. I also live close to a military range so have all kinds of things going off occasionally, some big enough to shake the windows and house. Not all my dogs are good with the sounds, even if raised with gun shots and the sounds from the range. Some are still gun shy. My Dobe was horribly gun shy, she'd try to go through a steel door to get in to go hide in her crate. My previous GSDs could have cared less. My toys could care less. So far none of it has bothered Enya. How does your dog do currently with loud sudden noises? If they bother him I wouldn't be too close the first time a gun goes off, I'd work from a distance and move closer as he tolerates it.
Usually I would take my dogs very young to my hubby's sargent's farm and have them leashed to my waist and they would do fine, unfortunately I have not had the time yet with this one and she is already 6months. Yet another thing I am behind on. But hey we had a Sheltie that NOTHING HELPED she would totally freak gun fire, fireworks etc. LOL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

From a great distance at first then gradually closer to the range. Feed the dog treats and keep it calm. Praise it and feed it more for remaining calm. If it gets uneasy increase the distance again. I haven't brought my pup up to the firing line for the sake of her ears, but she watches from 50 yards away.
Same thing for July 4th.
CatChandler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page