11 months - still not lifting a leg! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

11 months - still not lifting a leg!

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to know your opinion, is it ok for my pup (almost a grown up dog at 11 month of age!) not to lift a leg? It is not only the leg lifting, he doesn't mark at all. In a way its nice to get all pee done in one go, squatting and here we go, but does it mean he is not developing properly?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:09 AM

Mine is also 11 months (only two weeks until his first birthday!) and also doesn't lift up his leg or mark. As far as I have read into it, it is no issue at all. I have read people saying theirs only started to mark at 2 years old. Unless someone with more knowledge corrects me here, I would say enjoy it as long as it lasts!

"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not."
- Epicurus
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think mine was at that age. It is pretty recent for him. He is 16 months now and doesn't like to pee in the front yard anymore because there is hardly anything to lift his leg on. He prefers bushes and trees ih back. I will say it helps what is left of the grass now that he pees on the edge of the woods.

He marks all along our walks now too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:00 AM

I think its normal. One of mine started just when he hit 11 months. It was nice to see. The other is 11 months now but still not lifting.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

4+ years old still not lifting leg.

We were raising him for the Seeing Eye so we were told not to allow him to mark or left his leg. When I said he still doesn't that was a bit of a lie. In the past year or so he has started to occasionally lift his leg and mark a mailbox or a pole but I discourage that behavior. I don't think there is any problem with not lifting a leg.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

I've had males start lifting a leg at eight weeks and I've had males that only lifted their legs if they happened to be standing next to something. And I've had females that lifted their legs at eight weeks. They're all different. But I did have one Papillon that beat all. The boys would go around and lift legs. Several girls would follow and lift legs. But she would then go behind both and do a handstand and back up to pee higher than both the boys and the other dogs. Gotta love them all!
Aly likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:06 PM

Mine is 15 months and he lifts his leg only when he is next to something like a tree or whatever. Otherwise he won't lift his leg. He doesn't squat either, he just stretches out to piss, lol.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Master Member

My in-tact male was 2 in Aug. He still squats to pee.
Occasionally, He'll lift his leg to mark but I discourage it.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Elite Member

I happen to love a squatter rather than a leg lifter! Easier to clean up when necessary. I have had males of both persuations, as well as a very bossy female who lifted her leg regularly to mark on top the boys' pee! I wish I knew what caused a dog to go one way or the other! - I would definitely love to teach the boys to squat!
Deb likes this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

I have two intact males. My younger dog is submissive to the other male...but he has scratched/scruffed with his rear legs after pooping since he was 8 weeks old.
He does not, nor probably will not lift his leg while the older dog is in his life. He squats to pee. I don't mind it, I understand his reason.
I don't like when a dog marks constantly(or marks over the others pee), but it is what it is and I keep my marker from marking my garden areas, pots, and whatever else is of value to me. He is pretty good about it, but not perfect.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in