15 Month Male 55 Pounds - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By eddie1976E
  • 1 Post By Deb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

15 Month Male 55 Pounds

Hey All,

My GSD is a unaltered male that I purchased from an akc registered purebred breeder of GSDs. He's a west german show line shepherd and he's in top notch health. He's very active and muscular. He eats and poops normal...just thought I'd mention that and his vet says he's in prime condition. The issue I have is that he only weighs 56 pounds. He's 15 months old. I can't see how that's normal. His father and mother weigh in around 80-85 pounds.

As a pup mine was the average size for a GSD pup. He even had a runt in his litter who is now about 10 pounds more than mine in weight. I don't get it. What you y'all think?

Thanks for the input. We love our boy to death...I just thought he'd be bigger by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Elite Member

They grow at different rates. He is healthy, he might get a big growth spurt soon. They keep growing for the first 2-3 years. I wouldn't focus on weight so much as condition.
Julian G likes this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

As long as he's healthy and muscular you shouldn't worry. I'd be interested to know about his diet, maybe you can make some changes if his weight bothers you so much. Other than that, it's not uncommon for a male to be 50-60 lbs, and don't forget they usually stop growing bone until about 18 months, and then they fill out and mature until 2-3 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Just be happy that he is in good health. So many GSDs are in bad shape. Don't try to increase his weight with feeding. it is too bad that there is such a focus on 'big is better'. At least he will be fast and agile, which is what you want. And a lighter weight is only benefiting his joint when he ages.
Deja is 3 years old and weighs 55 lb. I am glad she is not huge, even for a female.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 11-06-2016 at 06:59 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Enya is going to be a small bitch. I like that personally. Much easier when I'm traveling and she'll be going with me pretty much wherever I go. I know some like their shepherds big, but there's a lot to be said for smaller and more agile.
dawnl likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

My dogs a freak (OS WL GSD 116 lbs) so I have no basis for comparison ... the entirety of my knowledge on WL GSD' was "a big furry dog with a funny face" (Boxer guy.) I paid a price for that lack of understanding ... but it worked out in the long run.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Hey All,

My GSD is a unaltered male that I purchased from an akc registered purebred breeder of GSDs. He's a west german show line shepherd and he's in top notch health. He's very active and muscular. He eats and poops normal...just thought I'd mention that and his vet says he's in prime condition. The issue I have is that he only weighs 56 pounds. He's 15 months old. I can't see how that's normal. His father and mother weigh in around 80-85 pounds.

As a pup mine was the average size for a GSD pup. He even had a runt in his litter who is now about 10 pounds more than mine in weight. I don't get it. What you y'all think?

Thanks for the input. We love our boy to death...I just thought he'd be bigger by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
They grow at different rates. He is healthy, he might get a big growth spurt soon. They keep growing for the first 2-3 years. I wouldn't focus on weight so much as condition.
I didn't really know that, so that's good to know. Thanks for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
As long as he's healthy and muscular you shouldn't worry. I'd be interested to know about his diet, maybe you can make some changes if his weight bothers you so much. Other than that, it's not uncommon for a male to be 50-60 lbs, and don't forget they usually stop growing bone until about 18 months, and then they fill out and mature until 2-3 years old.
We feed him IAMS puppy large breed with occasional chicken thighs and breasts as well as carrots, tomatoes and safe peanut butter. He always has a full bowl and eats whenever he wants to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Just be happy that he is in good health. So many GSDs are in bad shape. Don't try to increase his weight with feeding. it is too bad that there is such a focus on 'big is better'. At least he will be fast and agile, which is what you want. And a lighter weight is only benefiting his joint when he ages.
Deja is 3 years old and weighs 55 lb. I am glad she is not huge, even for a female.
We're not looking for him to be big but I guess I would've liked him to be closer to 70 pounds, which still isn't big for a GSD. I did buy him initially because I wanted a bigger dog so I have expected to him to reach an average size at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Enya is going to be a small bitch. I like that personally. Much easier when I'm traveling and she'll be going with me pretty much wherever I go. I know some like their shepherds big, but there's a lot to be said for smaller and more agile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
My dogs a freak (OS WL GSD 116 lbs) so I have no basis for comparison ... the entirety of my knowledge on WL GSD' was "a big furry dog with a funny face" (Boxer guy.) I paid a price for that lack of understanding ... but it worked out in the long run.
Thanks for replying all. I posted some pics of him in the original post above. I guess we'll wait and see if he starts growing again. He's been 56 pounds for the past several months with no increase at all. Here's hoping...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Some pictures of him...
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 PM

both my boys dance around 60#, usually under. one is WL the other SL. Consider yourself lucky, I love it!!!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page