• 1 Post By zyppi
  • 2 Post By cdwoodcox
  • 1 Post By MineAreWorkingline
  • 1 Post By cloudpump

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Is my little guy too heavy?

Hello Everyone,

I know it's kind of weird asking on here considering pictures won't help. But I was wondering if it's normal for German Shepherds to breath heavy most of the day? It's been a constant battle with him. We got him at three months and he was great. He started on Orijin Large breed and at 4 months he started itching a lot! We switched his food until (FROMM, MERRICK, CANINE CAVIAR) until we found one that worked ( Canine Caviar). However, he was not putting on any weight that food (2 pounds in 30 days) so we switched him to the FROMM pork.

He'e been doing great on this food (not itching as much, coat getting soft, stools are perfect). However, I noticed that now he's walking around and always panting. Even sitting waiting for his food he is panting. He doesn't look fat to me, but I got him on the scale yesterday and at 7 months he weights 83 lbs. His dad is 120 and mom was 98. My concern with this food is that this food has 17% fat and is not specifically for large breed puppies. Orijin large breed is 16% and Fromm large breed is 14%. Based on these pictures what do you guys think?

Right now he is getting 3 1/2 cups a day (410 calories per cup) and he also gets orijin treats for training (duck,duck live) 5 calories each. On weekends Ill give him cooked chicken, steak cooked rare or pork.

(It's been 90deg here the past 8 days, but the house remains at 68deg. He just seems to be breathing heavier than usual. Could be something that is normal and I didn't notice until now.

Thank you all in advance!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

He looks perfect.

As for panting, dogs don't sweat and he might be hot. But if you're worried, ask your vet.
FGOliveira83 likes this.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Knighted Member

Agreed looks good. Ask the vet if your concerned . Make sure there is always plenty of water. I can't believe how much water my German Shepherd pups drink.
Deb and FGOliveira83 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

If you keep your house at 68 degrees, your dog should not be constantly panting. It has been in the 90s for days here and my dogs rarely pant despite not having AC. I would give your vet a call.
FGOliveira83 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:12 AM
Elite Member

Is it too cold inside for him to change to a summer coat and acclimate? Even though summer is over...

Can Climate Affect Dog Shedding? - Pets

Is the humidity extremely high?
Just some thoughts.
FGOliveira83 likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Is it too cold inside for him to change to a summer coat and acclimate? Even though summer is over...

Can Climate Affect Dog Shedding? - Pets

Is the humidity extremely high?
Just some thoughts.

This is very interesting. It is very humid outside. I live a few min away from St Louis. This area is also ranked high for worst pollen or place to live for people with allergies. When we go out and he starts sniffing the grass area he does seem to get a little congested. Makes me wonder if that also has something to do with it. Thank you for information.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Master Member

Heavy parents,were they at proper weight? My last 2 GSDs were 73 and 80 pounds at 7 months. They are now 90 and 95 with a suggestion of ribs showing at 2 1/2 and 7.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 12:26 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I would also take him to the vet to rule out anything medical with the panting. He looks fine otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page