Socializing my 3 Month old who hasnt had all its shots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Deb
  • 2 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Socializing my 3 Month old who hasnt had all its shots?

Hello, im sorta new to this website and one of the reasons i came here was to see if someone could recommend any places where i can exercise my puppy and maybe socialize it when its young. Is the woods/trails a good place to walk a dog that has not had all of its parvo prevention shots. Thanks guys..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

When my Sting was a puppy before he had all his parvo shots, I was careful to walk him where there weren't many dogs. So, I didn't take him to the parks, trails, and other popular dog walking areas. I did walk him on the sidewalk by office buildings and schools, where he could watch other people and children. I also would sit with him on my front porch steps so he could watch the cars go by, and children on skateboards and bikes. I would walk him to the corner again being careful to stay on the sidewalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
When my Sting was a puppy before he had all his parvo shots, I was careful to walk him where there weren't many dogs. So, I didn't take him to the parks, trails, and other popular dog walking areas. I did walk him on the sidewalk by office buildings and schools, where he could watch other people and children. I also would sit with him on my front porch steps so he could watch the cars go by, and children on skateboards and bikes. I would walk him to the corner again being careful to stay on the sidewalk.
I've socialized young puppies by placing a bed in a cart at Lowes and other stores that allow pets in them. They sit/stand on the bed and get wheeled around.
zetti likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Elite Member

Find out how prevalent parvo virus is in your area. Avoid those areas. Your pup should be exposed to as many environments and lot's of ppl as possible. Keeping the pup secluded until it's had all its vaccines at 4-6 months isn't good for it IMHO.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Master Member

I agree about finding out how prevalent those viruses are in your area. Contact your vet and perhaps ask for some exercise recommendations or places they believe would be safe. Personally I'm of the opinion that GSDs do not need to meet every single person on the street or every dog in the area, but should have exposure to new sights, sounds, and different environments instead. If you can, you could always carry your puppy around with you in new environments, go for car rides to new locations and just sit there and soak it in while playing tug, etc. As always, pay attention to how your puppy is taking things in.

There have been several threads posted recently about what "early socialization" means, as well as plenty of great articles too:
- Leerburg | Socializing Puppies a Pushy Puppy
- The Dark Side of Socialization: Fear Periods and Single Event Learning ? Dr. Jen's Dog Blog
- More Harm than Good: 3 Reasons Why I Never Socialize my Puppies | The Collared Scholar
- https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...alization.html

For exercise, do you have a backyard? If so, I would imagine backyards are plenty enough for getting adequate exercise when they're young and haven't had all their shots yet.
Mary Beth and Mudypoz like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page