how to socialize our dog to people?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes
  • 5 Post By dogma13
  • 3 Post By jarn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Location: a sleepy town near the very beginnings of the mighty himalayas
Question how to socialize our dog to people??

AJ fell sick when he was 2.5 months old and then had a recurrence just two weeks out and had to quarantined for the whole time. at 6 months, he was cleared to go out.

in the beginning, if he noticed people, good. he sniffed, good, he noticed and paid no attention, good. he stiffened up, we moved him further away. he moved towards them, we moved him away. ultimately he was able to stop and allow the rare passerby to pass by verbal command only.

at 9 months, a couple we saw everyday changed their route. the woman told her husband to turn around. he refused very angrily and got within a foot of AJ. AJ waited till the woman and he had just passed before he lunged. i held him by the collar, and he was an all fours immediately and leaning on my legs. the man turned and barked pashto at AJ. he tried to lunge, i told him to sit, they left, and we went back home.

since then, AJ has started lunging at everybody again. if we cross the same place he'll started jumping in the air, spinning and pulling until we're back in the yard. otherwise his barking is limited to strangers getting too close to his den (he stops when told) or on command. he is 10 months old now.

he doesn't behave like this with the couple of 'dog friendly' people he's met. it's just with the everyday sort who carry canes for their safety from strays and others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 03:42 PM

More Harm than Good: 3 Reasons Why I Never Socialize my Puppies | The Collared Scholar
Here's an article from another thread in case you haven't read it already.Try to stay at a distance that's comfortable for your dog.If you see he's getting tense,go the other way if possible.If that's not possible do whatever it takes to get his focus on you,toys,treats,happy praise.Do whatever it takes so he can't practice the lunging and barking.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

I agree with dogma13. I'd remove AJ from the situation before it starts.

It can be hard to do, but worth it. AJ will be less stressed too which will lead to better behaviour. Over time you can work up to more positive interactions, but for now, I'd work on removing him, making sure he is neutral from a distance, and then slowly - once he has been neutral from a distance for a long time and it is established behaviour for him - getting closer and remaining neutral.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Location: a sleepy town near the very beginnings of the mighty himalayas
another thing that's gotten worse after the instance is that he won't let my older sister handle him. she's a med student so she normally just sees him to give him his calcium. she's a bit of a pushover with AJ. he jumps, bites, nips and draws blood when she has to look after him. today she took him out to go to the bathroom twice, in two three minute interactions and her arms were covered with swellings. AJ also continued that behaviour with me till i finally crated him for the night. today i had to leave to visit my sick cousin and it's wasn't possible to take him along and situations like this are bound to occur.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 PM

He can only mouth and bite if you allow it.Put a short length of rope or old leash(no loop) and pop his collar and NO!Really mouthy dogs do well many times if they have something to carry and chew on when they're excited.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:37 PM

I also agree that early socialization can screw your dog up. As far as the lunging goes, Im not sure how you feel about leash corrections, but they helped us with everything. They also helped with nipping. If they see that they can walk all over one person without being corrected, they will do it again and again.

I dont let people pet my dog on walks. My dog trainer told me its invasive to their space. At first I thought it was crazy but we implemented it and saw big results. Random people saying "hi" distracts the dog. You wouldn't let every random person pet/say hi your spouse or your kid while on a walk would you?

We also avoid stressful situations. My dog wants to meet every dog she sees & its really counterproductive. So now we wait for them to pass, off to the side. Or we even cross the street. As time goes on she has become less and less dog reactive. I hope one day she will be able to see a dog on the same side of the street as us and not give a hoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page