Any tips for introducing puppy to 4y.o. dog???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Any tips for introducing puppy to 4y.o. dog????

Hi there,
as the story goes, I have an almost 4 year old GSD (male) and my girlfriend just got an 8 wk old male Golden Retriever pup. I have never introduced an adult dog to a puppy for an extended period of time. Any tips??? Both are male. my male is fixed. I will have my trainer along for the introduction but do you guys have any experience/suggestions???

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

Never introduced a puppy but I think making sure that the puppy doesn't displace your dog with all that puppy cuteness. your dog will need his time with you and learn how to share you. I'm sure your trainer will help. Sounds like you have a good plan for introductions. Looking forward to pictures.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

Do you and your girlfriend live together? When I brought Neb home I had two adult GSDs in the house, I crated him so he could take in his surroundings and so Luc and Teagan could check him out but nobody was getting in anyone's face.
gsdluvr likes this.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Elite Member

About a month ago I introduced a 10 week old male GSD to my female 5 yr old dog reactive GSD. I had no problems. Just a lot of supervision and making sure my girl got lots of attention. She really surprised me by being quite tolerant of the puppy. They have become good friends now, although I do believe sometimes the puppy can get a bit annoying with my girl. He can be relentless! If things are getting too out of hand I step in.
Years back I introduced my girl at 11 weeks to my 8 yr old Newfie mix. Again, a lot of supervision. And I wouldn't trust them alone together for some time....

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 AM
Elite Member

It is quite unusual for an adult dog to show aggression towards a puppy. The species would die out if there weren't strong natural inhibitions against harming baby puppies.

One thing to watch out for, however: be aware that when you carry a puppy in your arms, some dogs will mistake the puppy for prey. If the pup is whining, it's worse--wounded prey. I have seen it happen more than once. Not good. Don't worry, the puppy was fine in all cases, just FYI.

Ideally, the two will bond while the puppy is still very young and you will have a harmonious pack.

Adult males with little puppies can be fun to watch. I've often been amazed at the antics my males will tolerate from puppies that they'd never put up with from an adult.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Crowned Member

I had an approx 9 y/o male and female pair of GSDs when I brought home my pup. They were pretty casual at the initial meeting in the yard but kind of hated him for about 2 weeks. They both at different times growled and moved away if he tried to make friends in the house.

I made the couch their safe zone and made a rule from day 1 that if they got up on the couch I would stop the pup from pestering the old dogs. Eveyrone caught on quick and I still use that to this day when the boy is pestering my old girl she will get up on the couch and then he has to leave her alone.

The old man caved a lot sooner than the female. Puppy kept trying to be his friend and I could see him being like "aw heck, little fella, I guess we could be pals after all". They became inseperable.

The female tolerated him fine but I would not say they had a real friendship until after the male passed away and puppy was lonely. Before that they had a boys club.

I ran interferencs a lot in the beginning and kept the baby off the big dogs.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I had an approx 9 y/o male and female pair of GSDs when I brought home my pup. They were pretty casual at the initial meeting in the yard but kind of hated him for about 2 weeks. They both at different times growled and moved away if he tried to make friends in the house.

I made the couch their safe zone and made a rule from day 1 that if they got up on the couch I would stop the pup from pestering the old dogs. Eveyrone caught on quick and I still use that to this day when the boy is pestering my old girl she will get up on the couch and then he has to leave her alone.

The old man caved a lot sooner than the female. Puppy kept trying to be his friend and I could see him being like "aw heck, little fella, I guess we could be pals after all". They became inseperable.

The female tolerated him fine but I would not say they had a real friendship until after the male passed away and puppy was lonely. Before that they had a boys club.

I ran interferencs a lot in the beginning and kept the baby off the big dogs.
Thank you for the reply. sorry to hear about your male but im glad they got along! I love the safe zone idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
It is quite unusual for an adult dog to show aggression towards a puppy. The species would die out if there weren't strong natural inhibitions against harming baby puppies.

One thing to watch out for, however: be aware that when you carry a puppy in your arms, some dogs will mistake the puppy for prey. If the pup is whining, it's worse--wounded prey. I have seen it happen more than once. Not good. Don't worry, the puppy was fine in all cases, just FYI.

Ideally, the two will bond while the puppy is still very young and you will have a harmonious pack.

Adult males with little puppies can be fun to watch. I've often been amazed at the antics my males will tolerate from puppies that they'd never put up with from an adult.
Thank you! As far as meeting while picked up...my male was in my truck today and was able to sniff face to face with the puppy for a minute before I had to go to work, this was the first encounter. My dog was very interested but did not react negatively at all.. He did seem like a sad guy after though like I was a trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
About a month ago I introduced a 10 week old male GSD to my female 5 yr old dog reactive GSD. I had no problems. Just a lot of supervision and making sure my girl got lots of attention. She really surprised me by being quite tolerant of the puppy. They have become good friends now, although I do believe sometimes the puppy can get a bit annoying with my girl. He can be relentless! If things are getting too out of hand I step in.
Years back I introduced my girl at 11 weeks to my 8 yr old Newfie mix. Again, a lot of supervision. And I wouldn't trust them alone together for some time....
I hope to have a nice relationship like you described! I will watch out for the annoying puppy behaviors being too much. Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarn View Post
Do you and your girlfriend live together? When I brought Neb home I had two adult GSDs in the house, I crated him so he could take in his surroundings and so Luc and Teagan could check him out but nobody was getting in anyone's face.
We do not live together but are together daily and live 3 minutes from eachother. I think we will formally introduce in a neutral location!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Crowned Member

I tried to do everything right. Let the older dog sniff the puppy. Bring one in to introduce gradually through the crate. Instead, my older dog pushed into the room, jumped at the puppy and whined so much, I let them both in together. The older dog was leery at first, and gave a few warning growls, which the puppy listened to, and then they began playing. They have gotten along well since then unless she is tired and he won't leave her alone. I gave them plenty of space, did not ever leave them alone together until he was large enough to match her strength. Even now, I will separate them if he is too rambunctious.
jaudlee likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Elite Member

I just wanted to echo what someone else said about the older dog likely not being aggressive to a puppy. Teagan was probably...well, I'm not sure how old she was, but very much an adult when I brought home Neb. She was extremely strange dog aggressive, dangerous, and after she attacked a dog in our yard the behaviourist said she had probably killed before based on her attack style (she didn't go for the face, she started to disembowel the other dog). Totally my **** up. Anyways, that happened after I had adopted Neb, but when I did bring him home, I was aware that she was very aggressive to strange dogs. I figured I would need to keep them separated for a few weeks.

But she kept mooning around outside his crate, so on his second day, I let him out. She was ecstatic. I remember very clearly (Neb was tiny) Neb trying to climb up her head and falling off but hanging on by her ear. She was thrilled. I thought she'd be irritated that here was this dog hanging off her ear but she was so, so happy. I don't think I'd ever seen her so happy before. She was a great mom to him.
jaudlee likes this.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 03:39 AM

I just recently introduced a puppy to my 18mo female - who was high prey drive and reactive to other dogs. I figured that if I wanted another dog with her around that my best bet was an opposite gendered puppy. It worked, but I was not sure at first!

Due to her reactivity, having her meet him on lead was not going to go well.

So...I put the puppy in a crate, and let her come into the room to investigate. She was not thrilled. She was very curious, but would snarl at him. I almost returned the puppy on that initial reaction alone. But I wanted to give them a chance. So I kept at it. I even put her in the crate and let puppy check her out. Then, when puppy started to bore her (within a few days) I put her in a basket muzzle, controlling puppy to make sure he didn't bolt and send her prey drive off. Then free reign with basket muzzle until she lost interest again. Then muzzle off with very controlled settings.

I also control the environment as much as I can - feeding them away from one another (at first) /under close supervision (now) - Not leaving toys out - nilif - boundries!!!!

Now they are so bonded they cannot be apart from one another. They get along great and play...play...play!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page