family events and family dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

family events and family dogs

I have a pup about 15 weeks, brought him home at 10.5 weeks. Because there's been parvo in the area I have been leery of taking him to public places or puppy class until he's 16 weeks old. To me, the benefit of socialization was of poor use if he picked up parvo. I have taken him to the vets twice, to visit family, and so he's been out a bit, and he's been fine tempermentally, but I was planning on doing more socialization after this weekend, when he'll get his last shot.

My problem is I have an upcoming family event I will be expected to attend, too far to leave pup home, and I expect another family member to attend with two large breed dogs, one of which is a barking, bouncing off the wall, roughhousing non stop literally for hours dog.This dog actually caused an injury to a family member - accidentally but it took surgery and therapy to resolve. I don't really want my pup around this dog but certainly not at his young age when he has so little experience with dogs and is not capable of dealing with him. Owner of dog does nothing to control dog. Asking would probably invoke WWIII.

Any ideas as to managing this? Short of feigning a last minute illness? And since I can't avoid this dog completely, any recs as to when it would be safe to expose my dog to this wild animal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM

This may sound impractical,but I would never expose my dogs to that.I would take the crate and excuse myself often to attend to him.Then when he's old enough I would board him.There's just too much to go wrong.
I have a similar situation when visiting my niece.She has a very nasty little pit that's bitten me twice and gone after my dog.I won't take him back ever,which is a shame because my grand niece adores him.Do what you think is best of course to keep your pup safe and untraumatized.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:24 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

How about bringing a crate with you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
This may sound impractical,but I would never expose my dogs to that.I would take the crate and excuse myself often to attend to him.Then when he's old enough I would board him.There's just too much to go wrong.
I have a similar situation when visiting my niece.She has a very nasty little pit that's bitten me twice and gone after my dog.I won't take him back ever,which is a shame because my grand niece adores him.Do what you think is best of course to keep your pup safe and untraumatized.
This, or just skip it.

I had no qualms about skipping events when it didn't work for me. An event that precludes me being a responsible owner (and being responsible includes options like a dogsitter, doggy daycare/boarding, etc., when Puppy is old enough) doesn't work for me.
Nigel and Mudypoz like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM

Yep. Crate. You can keep them separate. It's what I've done in the past for family gatherings with a young puppy.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
This, or just skip it.

I had no qualms about skipping events when it didn't work for me. An event that precludes me being a responsible owner (and being responsible includes options like a dogsitter, doggy daycare/boarding, etc., when Puppy is old enough) doesn't work for me.
I've skipped numerous events because of my dogs too.If it's not possible to arrange for their care or they can't go along,oh well.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I always have a crate in my car, but it's a heavy one, I might bring a light weight fabric one just for ease of carrying. Just not sure how much crating is going to help. The wild dog never sits still, constantly roughhouses the owner's other dog all over the ground floor - they are both big dogs - and never stops barking. It's stressful for grown adults, so I can only imagine the commotion would be stressful even for a crated pup.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookwoodgirl View Post
I always have a crate in my car, but it's a heavy one, I might bring a light weight fabric one just for ease of carrying. Just not sure how much crating is going to help. The wild dog never sits still, constantly roughhouses the owner's other dog all over the ground floor - they are both big dogs - and never stops barking. It's stressful for grown adults, so I can only imagine the commotion would be stressful even for a crated pup.
Can you leave the pup crated in the car with the windows rolled down or doors open, and one of those heavy foil things over the top to block the sun? Treat it like a trial situation where the dog has to hang out in the car? I don't know where you live, so the weather might still be too summery for that. But if you can't skip it and a crate in the house won't work, maybe the car could be a safe space.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookwoodgirl View Post
Lol!You may get a migraine the morning of just thinking about the fun day!Darn.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

re skipping it, that's my preference, if she is going to bring the problem dog. I already have said I couldn't come on X day when the dog was coming, and they rescheduled. I'm not planning on exposing my pup to this dog if uncontrolled, I'm just not sure how much even a crate can help, even if on another floor.
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page