How do you burn energy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

How do you burn energy?

My girl is 10 weeks old today with a bunch of energy, getting into everything. Even playing in the backyard it's hard to get her attention with anything other than a bully stick and treats, even with them, it's hard.

Multiple short training sessions a day, playing in the backyard(but short attention), playing in the house, chew toys. At least every other day I take her somewhere with me, which probably tires her out the most. What do you all do with puppies this age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Here are some good ideas, this is the type of things I do with my dogs. It also serves to set up some excellent early imprinting that will pay off down the road.

dogma13, voodoolamb and cdwoodcox like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm asking around to see if anyone has ideas for places like this. The only places near me that I can think of are packed with other dogs. Also, she will eat just about anything with the change(rocks, bark, chewing cement), I'm worried she'd get her mouth on something dangerous.

I want to take her fishing, golf courses that allow, etc. but obviously very young and hard to keep her attention long enough. Puppy classes start in 10 days *phew*

Last edited by MT523; 08-14-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:48 PM

Another idea is a soft toy tied to a 4 or 5ft rope.Run around and let her chase the toy and catch it occasionally.Hold it over her head,she'll sit.Move it down she'll lie down.Run with it close to your waist,she's heeling.Run backwards,recall.
Try playing 2 ball.It can be exhausting to stay enthusiastic and keep a puppy's attention!
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Crowned Member

If your puppy is prone to chewing on rocks, he is going to find some to chew on no matter where you go. Chewing on rocks, if not the result of a medical condition, is usually the result of anxiety, frustration, or mere boredom. All of which can be alleviated with adequate physical exercise and mental stimulation.

Many trainers recommend physical exercise prior to training. A puppy loaded up with pent up energy can have a hard time paying attention.
dogma13 and Zaxx like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Banned

Your puppy needs fresh experiences away from home, should visit one new place a day, have one new experience a day, and it doesn't have to be far away from your home, could be just another street to explore.
Letting them to socialize and play with other puppies of the same age and weight, look for a friend for her in your area.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I think I was underestimating what type of exercise she can do at this point. We just got back from a 10 min walk/run (area she's never been). This was right after she woke up from a nap, and now she is just chewing/relaxing. I think a non dog park, where I can put her on a longer leash and run around with her is going to be my go to. I will mix things up, hopefully I'll be able to find a low key place to hike with her, and things will open up once she has all her shots.
dogma13 likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT523 View Post
Thanks for the help. I think I was underestimating what type of exercise she can do at this point. We just got back from a 10 min walk/run (area she's never been). This was right after she woke up from a nap, and now she is just chewing/relaxing. I think a non dog park, where I can put her on a longer leash and run around with her is going to be my go to. I will mix things up, hopefully I'll be able to find a low key place to hike with her, and things will open up once she has all her shots.
I would be very careful of any exercise on manmade surfaces and to keep it to a minimum.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I would be very careful of any exercise on manmade surfaces and to keep it to a minimum.
Will do. Is grass/dirt the safest? Minimize/NO to concrete and rocks?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

I do grass and dirt whenever possible. I will do concrete or other manmade surfaces if in a hurry and that is all that is available at the moment, which is seldom. It is best for their joints.
MT523 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in