Proper playtime. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Proper playtime.

So most of the regular posters probably remember me posting about Apollo a week or so ago. My oldest son took him but his job got real hectic and he started leaving at 6 AM and not getting home until 7:30 ish. He was then in Bed by 10. So he asked if he could give Apollo back to me so the pup wouldn't be locked up 13 hours a day. And expected to go to sleep 3 hours after his crate release. I agreed that it is no life for a pup and said bring him and his stuff back. Now he has been here for 3 days and no one I know seems to be interested in a pup. We don't want to advertise on Craigslist and honestly I think my son and wife have gotten attached enough to him that they fully expect to keep him
I myself don't mind another pup. "I did want my next pup to be a long coat" but whatever. So here is my question. How much play time should I be allowing Apollo and Athena to have. I have been working all the dogs separately but those two will play all day if I allow it. Do they need to be separated a lot or as long as they are learning and bonding to humans leave it as I have been doing. Which is limit their playtime to an hour or so a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I contacted the breeder the day I took him from my parents place and they didn't seem interested in taking him back. So here they all are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_153421_1471031582395.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	380193  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 PM

Rescue Facebook pages,Rescue sites that do courtesy postings are other options.I don't know what is considered too long for puppies to spend time together.I've never had two quite so close in age.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:05 PM

I would personally limit their playtime as you are doing. My family raised puppies together (littermates), and it was a total disaster. Do not recommend.

As you are committed to keeping both, I would highly suggest limiting their playtime and spending tons of one-on-one with each pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page