14 week puppy and other dog socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

14 week puppy and other dog socialization

Hi, I'm new here as well as new to the breed. I've had a lab, golden, and husky before getting my GSD Ripley who is currently 14 weeks.

I'm not sure what to make of her behavior around other dogs. She seems to be having some poor reactions to them. Always barking at them (which I correct) and many of the dogs she's interacted with seem to dislike her and become aggressive. She in turn, tends to start responding aggressively. She is not the kind of pup to back down. I'm not sure if we've had bad luck or if she's giving off some kind of energy dogs don't like. By the way, I'm not an expert in dog training by any means but I get basic obedience stuff and how dogs work, and I am alpha. So I'm not too concerned about having a strong willed and brave pup.

We live with a 12 year old golden who she gets along fine with.

Are GSDs in general harder to get along with other dogs? I am getting slightly worried that she won't be friendly with other dogs and want to correct it before it gets worse. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Crowned Member

never mind alpha.

at this age I don't think this is evidence of strong willed and brave ---- probably quite the opposite -- probably feeling vulnerable and frightened . And then you go and correct her adding to her tension and discomfort because now she is getting "it" from all sides.

when she freaks out --- take her to your side , calm her down , and since you get basic obedience stuff , control the other dogs to go lie down --- control them, while you control her , so that they are all in the same environment without feeling intimidated or hostile . The new dog is the interloper --

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley2016 View Post
Are GSDs in general harder to get along with other dogs? I am getting slightly worried that she won't be friendly with other dogs and want to correct it before it gets worse. Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
I'm new to GSDs too and have a puppy about your's age.

I can tell you that our Jack gets nervous around other dogs, especially if they stare and pull towards him. His hackles go up and he starts to bark. To get him to relax around another dog, it requires the other dog to be calm and patient (and for us to be equally calm). Jack needs to pluck up the courage to even sniff the other dog. If that means hiding between our legs before he does so, then that's what's required at the moment. Usually, if the other dog is calm and moves non-energetically, he's more comfortable greeting and wanting to play with that dog.

That said, Jack, also, is capable of being calm as long as the dog is staying out of his 15-foot bubble.

We have had success doing the following things, though:

1. Let him hide and give him time to come out and be brave. Give him lots of encouragement and praise when he decides to be brave.
2. Treat him with something really delicious (chicken sausage or bacon is our treat of choice) every time a dog comes up to him and he doesn't react. Or every time a dog passes close to him and he doesn't react. Yesterday, we did this along the following pattern: Both dogs see each other. The moment Jack notices the dog, treat. Not sooner or later. If we do it fast enough, we can catch him before he reacts. This seems to give him a little more courage.
3. Keep walking by other dogs and put one of us between him and the other dog if the other is too energetic and focused on him.
4. Bring a tug toy with us and play tug while we walk. This seems to help keep him focused on something more fun. It's also helping him learn to heel.

I think it'll take time, though, for your puppy and our puppy to get over being scared. One day, they'll realize they're not the littlest dog on the block.

However, everywhere we've gone, we've noticed German Shepherds in general don't seem to like being bothered by other people and dogs. I've never seen one just run up to us or our dog to say "hi". They mostly ignore everything else in the world unless their people are interested in it, too. In fact, most owners we've come across have politely asked us to not come up to their dog, who is sitting by them calm as a cucumber.

Maybe GSDs just have a larger "personal space" bubble. I guess if I had to peg them, they seem to be a largely introverted breed. Don't like to be bothered unless they're friends and family are involved.
Ripley2016 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Kyrielle, I appreciate your insight. I agree with you that it seems like german shepherds are not really social with other people and dogs. If they are discriminatory about other people (which I like) then it makes sense they would be that way with other animals too... It just caught me off guard since none of my previous dogs have been that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page