Please don't play fetch with your high drive puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Please don't play fetch with your high drive puppy

I just want share my unfortunate experience with new puppy owners so as to reduce the likelihood of your pup developing elbow dysphasia.
I got my high drive wl puppy at 2 months of age and she is only 10 months old now. Her breeder had warned me about not letting her jump down anything taller than her withers and to not play fetch with her until after a year old. Well I tried to limit her jumping but did play fetch with to excercise her as my knee deteriorated. She crashes hard on her front legs from a full run to grab the moving ball or bouncing stick. A couple months ago she started to come up lame in her front legs playing fetch. Long story short, she has bilateral medial coronoid fractures and will have arthroscopic surgery to remove fragmented bone in both elbows.
I don't know if she is genetically predisposed to elbow dysphasia. Doesn't matter now. She is very strong and healthy. Just too driven for her own good.
So, puppy owners, please consider this for the long term health of your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 01:54 PM

Wow!That's terrible.Poor puppy.And poor owner!Was she on hard surfaces?I've always thought fetch was ok as long as no jumping was involved or extreme twists and turns.Hope she makes a complete recovery.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Wow!That's terrible.Poor puppy.And poor owner!Was she on hard surfaces?I've always thought fetch was ok as long as no jumping was involved or extreme twists and turns.Hope she makes a complete recovery.
Thanks. I'm heart broken. IPO is out of the question now. Hopefully she can still have a SAR career.
No I made sure to play fetch on grass and dirt and replaced the rock in my backyard with wood chips. I don't know how other pups retrieve but mine gets after it so hard it just looks terrible on her front legs as she comes to a grinding halt. I strongly suggest if anyone's pup does that stop playing fetch until your dog is at least a year old. Also limit the jumping. Tug is much healthier.
Malachi'sMama and dogma13 like this.

Last edited by ausdland; 06-18-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Crowned Member

this is a common cause of injury at any age but growing puppies are always more at risk since the bones are still growing. elbow dysplasia is something different - a genetic malformation of the joint but many vets and owners use the term "dysplasia" to cover any joint issue of hips or elbows.

some tips to avoid these type of injury in dogs of any age -
throw the ball uphill. put the dog in a stay and only release after the ball has stopped rolling. teach the dog to arc in an angle when coming in for a stop.
Jax08 likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Teaching my pup to stay until released to retrieve has been next to impossible especially when she was younger. But yes that was what we had been working on. Uphill is a great suggestion for a stick. Her fetching is now limited to sticks in water. I threw all my tennis balls out.
Again I suggest waiting to play fetch until the pup is at least 10-12 months old.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Crowned Member

Waiting to play fetch until the dogs are 10-12 months old will not save them from a fracture injury such as yours has. It's in injury that involved broken bones, not a condition caused by genetics or impact on joints. The way to avoid that is in how you play fetch as Dainerra described.

I really hope you aren't throwing sticks as in wood stick? That's a whole other host of injuries. Is it one of those dog toy sticks like Kong makes?
SunCzarina and onyx'girl like this.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Except for the water, there's really no retrieves that aren't going to be hard on the joints of a dog like this. The way they attack what they're retrieving is scary sometimes. Uphill is fine by itself, but she's going to come flying back downhill and that's hard on them too. The stay helps with the stay, but thats it, she may even explode more on it when she gets there. When she recovers, try recalls where you alternate a front with turning sideways with a release for her to run by and snatch the toy. Our lab had terrible elbows. Swimming after the toy was all she could do without coming up lame.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Waiting to play fetch until the dogs are 10-12 months old will not save them from a fracture injury such as yours has. It's in injury that involved broken bones, not a condition caused by genetics or impact on joints. The way to avoid that is in how you play fetch as Dainerra described.

I really hope you aren't throwing sticks as in wood stick? That's a whole other host of injuries. Is it one of those dog toy sticks like Kong makes?
I disagree. A lbp's skeleton grows rapidly before 10-12 months and is more susceptible to impact injury.

Yes I throw wood sticks. Half my backyard is covered with wood chips. Yes I don't like that she chews on wood and worry about that. I put a lot of thought and effort into limiting things that'll harm my pup. We can't live in a bubble.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Except for the water, there's really no retrieves that aren't going to be hard on the joints of a dog like this. The way they attack what they're retrieving is scary sometimes. Uphill is fine by itself, but she's going to come flying back downhill and that's hard on them too. The stay helps with the stay, but thats it, she may even explode more on it when she gets there. When she recovers, try recalls where you alternate a front with turning sideways with a release for her to run by and snatch the toy. Our lab had terrible elbows. Swimming after the toy was all she could do without coming up lame.
Been doing that for a while; will have to increase the distance in the future.
Yes even fetch in the water involves a lot of jumping but at least it's in the water. She's a great swimmer so that's what we'll be doing a lot. Unfortunately she won't swim next to me and gets stressed when I'm out in the water.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

A stick impaling is a nasty thing. I would choose a ball on string or cuz, chuckit! Frisbee instead...and keep it low. My young male is 18 months and a nutjob. I try to keep him from skidding and jumping but know that it is hard to keep him in low drive. I had prelims done at one year and he had a healed 'fracture' on his pelvic bone. I don't know if this will affect his OFA grading when he's and I send them in.
I do worry about joints because I don't want my dog dragging his butt around at 7-8 years of age.
I retired my other male at 7 so he can hopefully be agile and strong when he's in his senior years.
Jax08 and MineAreWorkingline like this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page