My pup's build - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

My pup's build

Hello again
I know there are many different GSD types/build but can you please give me your opinion on my dog's future build? He's currently 7 months old and compared to most dogs posted here is very lean/slender/narrow faced etc. He's well fed, well exercised and really loved. I guess it can be his genetics, but wonder if he'll bulk up/fill out after he reaches maturity. Decided not to neuter him at least for another year or so (maybe never) hoping it will give him more chance to build muscles. He's 25 in tall, 58 pounds
Few pics to illustrate..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Crowned Member

He won't even start "bulking up" until around 18 months old. He'll finish anywhere from 3-4 years old, depending on his genetics.
He's normal build for a gawky teenage, which is what he is.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:25 AM

He's still VERY young. Most young males are lean and lanky at that age, as they should be -- it's like a beanpole teenage human boy.

He is very handsome and looks healthy. Keep on doin' what you're doin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:49 AM

My dog was also skinny and scrawny looking. He is now four and is completely filled out. He is still actually skinny (around 73 pounds!) but he looks like a nice, average GSD. People don't believe me when I tell them his weight - for some reason everyone wants to imagine he is around 100 pounds.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
He won't even start "bulking up" until around 18 months old. He'll finish anywhere from 3-4 years old, depending on his genetics.
He's normal build for a gawky teenage, which is what he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth&Co View Post
He's still VERY young. Most young males are lean and lanky at that age, as they should be -- it's like a beanpole teenage human boy.
He is very handsome and looks healthy. Keep on doin' what you're doin'.
Its reassuring, just was browsing through pictures section and realized most similar age puppies posted there don't look as lanky as him (of course it could be the way these pics are taken), his head also appears quite small and frail (to me) especially compared to rabbit ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark View Post
My dog was also skinny and scrawny looking. He is now four and is completely filled out. He is still actually skinny (around 73 pounds!) but he looks like a nice, average GSD. People don't believe me when I tell them his weight - for some reason everyone wants to imagine he is around 100 pounds.
Would you mind sharing a pic or two of him before and after? Interesting to compare, perhaps there are some people here whose pup looked similar to mine at his age.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

They are all different and will fill out at different ages. It depends on their lines, too. Some lines fill in earlier than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page