Too friendly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Strikker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Too friendly?

My GSD is 10 months old now and I'm not sure if he's too friendly with others. He had a double arthroscopy on his elbows at 6 months and is still recovering on a leash.

Being on a leash so much these days I've noticed that he is very excitable towards some humans (dogs too mind you..). If they look at him he takes it as an invitation to lunge in their direction - he's being friendly though, zero aggression and no barking, he just thinks they want to say hello. Now, this scares a lot of people and the other day he caught me off-guard and got close enough to a jogger to lick their hand - they were not impressed to say the least. He doesn't expect treats from them as strangers have never fed him, I think it's just because he received too much attention as a puppy.

I try grab his attention as we walk past people these days to make him focus on me rather than them and that works usually but I'm wondering if there's anything I can/should be doing about this or is he just going to out grow it eventually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

My pup does the same thing sometimes. Everyone wants to pet her, as in EVERYONE. The Leerburg method of not letting your dog interact with anyone or anything is a great method. I have learned this the hard way. My dog is still 15 weeks old so I think I have time. Lately Ive been letting less and less people pet her. I will stop letting anyone pet her from now on. Ive really had enough of her looking to strangers for attention. She doesnt do it always, but sometimes.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgsd View Post
My pup does the same thing sometimes. Everyone wants to pet her, as in EVERYONE. The Leerburg method of not letting your dog interact with anyone or anything is a great method. I have learned this the hard way. My dog is still 15 weeks old so I think I have time. Lately Ive been letting less and less people pet her. I will stop letting anyone pet her from now on. I've really had enough of her looking to strangers for attention. She doesn't do it always, but sometimes.
Hmmm well ... thanks for the lead in.

Aforementioned article ... second link here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

Admittedly ED Frawley, has kind of an "edge" to him but the essence is correct. Control your dog's "space." If you don't mind her meeting and greeting "strangers" no problems. But you need to set the terms. And it can't be meeting everybody, if you do that all the time?? Then tat is what she "Expects to do."

So use it as a training opportunity, have her Sit or Stand calmly and then say "OK." If she ramps up and she's on leash (An assumption on my part) then say "NO" and turn away if she still ramps up. OH oh time to go. It's a training "opportunity."

Additionally add the "Place Command" and "Sit on the Dog" those are here:

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Train "Place" and have her "Place" and sit somewhere off to the aside and "People Watch" and add "Sit on the Dog" you take here on leash (regular length 6 foot leash) and you Sit on the leash and observe. No corrections or Commands you just "Sit."

So it's not a big deal but if "everyone wants to pet her??? Then your going to have to step up and learn to say ... "NO" at times. "Most" people will understand that and you can show your dog how you "expect" her to behave in public.

And the "Place" thing in "public" use a long line until she can do a two hour "Place" with distractions .. the more you work on it ... the sooner she will get there.

And again meet and greets should be random not "everybody." Welcome aboard and ask questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 01:03 PM

This option adds a little cost, but has helped in training meet and greet as well controlling as our dogs space. Our dogs wear vests that say "In Training" Please ask to pet". This seems to get the attention of those who would like to meet them and allow us to put them in a "sit-stay" or "down-stay" with the focus on us then release to meet. I like the idea of our dogs meeting others and being good ambassadors for GDS. But I also want the dogs to understand that they are focused on me until I tell them they can meet another then when called back I again am the focus.
gsdluvr likes this.

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikker View Post
This option adds a little cost, but has helped in training meet and greet as well controlling as our dogs space. Our dogs wear vests that say "In Training" Please ask to pet". This seems to get the attention of those who would like to meet them and allow us to put them in a "sit-stay" or "down-stay" with the focus on us then release to meet. I like the idea of our dogs meeting others and being good ambassadors for GDS. But I also want the dogs to understand that they are focused on me until I tell them they can meet another then when called back I again am the focus.
Not a bad plan ... "assuming" people can read ... and care??

Body blocking sends a pretty clear non verbal "hands off my dog signal" and "hand in the face" works pretty well for the "hardcore culess."

Been there done that ... "Rocky" just stands calmly at my side and observes. "Oh it's just what "Daddy" does no biggie" ... is what he would say ... I think?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Master Member

I do what Chip18 does and if someone asks and I am not going to allow that, I just say as politely as I can" No she/he is in training, but thank you for asking."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Not a bad plan ... "assuming" people can read ... and care??

Body blocking sends a pretty clear non verbal "hands off my dog signal" and "hand in the face" works pretty well for the "hardcore culess."

Been there done that ... "Rocky" just stands calmly at my side and observes. "Oh it's just what "Daddy" does no biggie" ... is what he would say ... I think?
Believe it or not I have found people do read the vest. The next question is always "what are they training for?". But there is the occasional person who always begins by telling me how they know GSDs then do something foolish and body blocking or an "Aus" is required.

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page