Months vs Weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Months vs Weeks

So I am trying to get an idea of how big my puppy, Citra, is going to be. I built a spreadsheet to track her weekly growth in weight and height. I have two questions:

1. What is a healthy growth rate for her height. I feed her Fromm's Gold LBP. Do I just need to feed her what is recommended and be done with it or will I need to scale her food based on her growth rate? If I need to scale it, what is a healthy range her height growth rate should be?

2. I have come across many places that talk about estimating how big your dog will be. Some estimate using weeks and some estimate using months. Well, as we all know, some months have 5 weeks in them and some have 4. So, depending on when your puppy was born your 4 month period could cover 16 weeks, 17 weeks, or it could cover 18 weeks. As it stands, My puppy at 4 months of age will be at 17 weeks. Not 16 weeks. I know this is not a HUGE difference in growth but there will be different results yielded depending on which weight/height value I use. I am a bit OCD about getting details ironed out and clear so my question is, would it be wiser to assume that 4 months is 16 weeks, and therefore use her growth at 16 weeks, or should I use her growth at her true 4/5/6 month milestones?

I know I am splitting hairs. Forgive me. I am a tad OCD when it comes to things like this.

Included some newer pictures of my baby taken just a couple of days ago. Also, check out her paws!! My hand is just under 8.5" from wrist to finger tips.....and her paws are **** near the size of my hand. They are also almost as big as our 65 lb Smooth Collie Mix. Haha!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13211147_10153592956163597_1473581526_o.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	365137   Click image for larger version

Name:	13230951_10153592960673597_1205452591_o.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	365145   Click image for larger version

Name:	13211054_10153592963758597_971282277_o.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	365161  
Attached Images

atomic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Knighted Member

I cannot answer about weeks vs months.
A good estimate for size would be if you knew the size/weight of her parents.
What is the current weight and age?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

Fully grown, she will top out between 50 and 110, 50 and 100 if you do not let her become overweight.

Hope that helps.

Rest assured, if you get through the puppy crazies, and the adolescent insanity, and the first three heat cycles, she will be the perfect size for you and your family.
Dainerra likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

too many factors to do what you are asking.
1) some dogs will get all of their height early and some will grow more gradually.
2) age when you spay/neuter will affect their growth rate
3) growth spurts come in cycles. You can literally wake up in the morning and say "HOLY COW!" because they've sprouted overnight.

GSDs grow in height until the growth plates close, around 18 months old. And then they add bulk until 3-4 years old. Exact timelines are influenced by bloodlines and individual metabolisms.
Dog A might get most of their height by the time they are 9 months old and only add a bit to that until 18 months. Some may advance slowly until closer to the end of their growth or may just go in fits and bursts the entire time. It would be highly unlikely to find any dog that grows at a regular rate all the way through.

A rule of thumb in the first few months is that there will be a steady weekly gain. One of my dogs gained a bit over 3lbs a week until 4 months old. Another gained 5 lbs a week.
After the first few months, Singe gained a LOT of height but not much in the way of actual weight, leaving him looking like a bobble head - it was amazing that he just didn't topple over.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
I cannot answer about weeks vs months.
A good estimate for size would be if you knew the size/weight of her parents.
What is the current weight and age?

As of Sunday she was 12 Weeks & 26.2 lbs @ 17"

I did get a chance to meet both of her parents. The sire was a good size. I estimated somewhere between 80-90 lbs. The dam also appeared to be a pretty good size for a female. My fiance thought the dam was high 70's, low 80's.

The problem with this is that the other day I saw another GSD that looked similar in size to the dam and the owner of that GSD said that she was 65 lbs. But then I look at my 65 lb Smooth Collie and he looks small compared to the GSD I saw at the vet and my puppy's Dam. So I don't know if I can trust my eyeball weight scale. Then there are her paws. Her paws look really. In fact, my 12 week old GSD's paws are the same size as my 1.5 year old Collie. And he is 65 lbs. So I am all over the place with estimating her adult size.

Obviously, we love her no matter whether she is big or small. This is purely a me thing. It's like a puzzle for me. I try to develop a formula that helps in estimating her size. I look at her growth trends and develop projections and try to get as close as I can to her final weight. Unfortunately, I didn't think to be as detailed with the tracking for my other two dogs as I have been with Citra. So this is my first trial doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Fully grown, she will top out between 50 and 110, 50 and 100 if you do not let her become overweight.

Hope that helps.
I figured as much. Haha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Rest assured, if you get through the puppy crazies, and the adolescent insanity, and the first three heat cycles, she will be the perfect size for you and your family.
I'm aware of this. It doesn't have anything to do with me wanting her to be as big as possible. It is a puzzle for me. I just want to see how accurately I can forecast her adult weight. Whether she is 50 lbs or 100 lbs is irrelevant to me. I just enjoy the puzzle. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
too many factors to do what you are asking.
1) some dogs will get all of their height early and some will grow more gradually.
2) age when you spay/neuter will affect their growth rate
3) growth spurts come in cycles. You can literally wake up in the morning and say "HOLY COW!" because they've sprouted overnight.

GSDs grow in height until the growth plates close, around 18 months old. And then they add bulk until 3-4 years old. Exact timelines are influenced by bloodlines and individual metabolisms.
Dog A might get most of their height by the time they are 9 months old and only add a bit to that until 18 months. Some may advance slowly until closer to the end of their growth or may just go in fits and bursts the entire time. It would be highly unlikely to find any dog that grows at a regular rate all the way through.

A rule of thumb in the first few months is that there will be a steady weekly gain. One of my dogs gained a bit over 3lbs a week until 4 months old. Another gained 5 lbs a week.
After the first few months, Singe gained a LOT of height but not much in the way of actual weight, leaving him looking like a bobble head - it was amazing that he just didn't topple over.
We don't plan to have her spayed. Does leaving a female pup intact stunt growth or encourage it? Our goal is to have at least one litter with her. My sister has a friend that has a black GSD and we were thinking about possibly breeding them after a year or so.

By the way, I came home from work yesterday and I swore there was a different dog in my living room. I looked at her and she looked HUGE compared to when I had actually taken a good look at her the night before. I was amazed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Growth 12 weeks.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	365177  

Last edited by Concordium; 05-12-2016 at 07:01 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

Hope it is the "or-so." In a year, your puppy will still be a puppy. She doesn't need to go through pregnancy, whelping, and raising a litter until she is an adult -- 2 years minimum.

And the biggest paws I have ever seen on a dog are Moofies, and he is currently 70 pounds. Should top out around 80-85 maybe.

You might be OCD about things like this, but it will only create stress. Relax and wait it out.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordium View Post
2. I have come across many places that talk about estimating how big your dog will be. Some estimate using weeks and some estimate using months. Well, as we all know, some months have 5 weeks in them and some have 4.
Not really. 4 weeks is 28 days, and with the exception of February, all the other months have either 30 or 31 days, which is well short of 5 weeks. To calculate your pup's age in weeks you'd use the day of the week she was born - Sunday to Sunday. For her age in months you'd use the day of the month - February 14th to March 14th would be one month, April 14th would be two months, etc.
Besketball likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

go down to the breeding forum and read up on the things needed before you can even think of breeding.
does your sister's friend's dog have a pedigree that is a good match? There is so much more than a working pair of testicles required. Are the friends willing to pay the expenses of health testing required before he should be bred?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I know how to count. If I count months it comes out to 17 weeks. Not 16 (4x4). And yes, you're right. But they have 4 weeks and a few days into the next week. Those few days add up over time. If I calculate the weeks that pass for her to reach 6 months it comes out to 26 weeks. Not 24 (6x4). So, like I said, there is definitely a difference in the results I will get depending on whether I count weeks or months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Not really. 4 weeks is 28 days, and with the exception of February, all the other months have either 30 or 31 days, which is well short of 5 weeks. To calculate your pup's age in weeks you'd use the day of the week she was born - Sunday to Sunday. For her age in months you'd use the day of the month - February 14th to March 14th would be one month, April 14th would be two months, etc.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
go down to the breeding forum and read up on the things needed before you can even think of breeding.
does your sister's friend's dog have a pedigree that is a good match? There is so much more than a working pair of testicles required. Are the friends willing to pay the expenses of health testing required before he should be bred?
We're not breeding show/work lines that will be registered. I got my pup from a friend of a friend who's two GSDs happened to have puppies. They're not going to be registered or top of the line quality with guaranteed good health. They're going to be two family dogs that have a litter of puppies. We're going to get ours tested. But we won't require that the sire be treated. Preferred, obviously. But not required.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page