Public Places? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Public Places?

Jax is a little over 3.5 months. I've taken him for walks around the neighborhod, but it hasn't really resulted in much socialization. He's gotten 3 out 4 puppy shots. He got his 3rd one a week ago. At this point, would it be okay to take him to places that have a high concentration of other people and dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

That is a great article. The other I saw it come up in my memories on fb from two years ago and had to re-post it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I found puppy class to be a negative for two of my dogs and I won't take them again, ever.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
That is a great article. The other I saw it come up in my memories on fb from two years ago and had to re-post it.
oops, this is the article I shared: https://www.facebook.com/monique.ans...nf&pnref=story

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
oops, this is the article I shared: https://www.facebook.com/monique.ans...nf&pnref=story
Great article but like so many, lots of good outcomes listed without explanation of exactly how to get there for someone new to this.
FourIsCompany likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I found puppy class to be a negative for two of my dogs and I won't take them again, ever.
You mean puppy wrasslin class ????

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiruk View Post
He's gotten 3 out 4 puppy shots. He got his 3rd one a week ago. At this point, would it be okay to take him to places that have a high concentration of other people and dogs?
I wouldn't. But I play "better safe than sorry". Lots of other very responsible owners don't even get all of the puppy shots and opt for a titer instead. It's really up to you.

As others have said, you're better off exposing him to ANY situation you can at home or in safe places. Noises, trash cans, walking on odd surfaces, finding things, meeting safe people and dogs... There are unlimited things you can do while waiting for the last shots... And here's something I learned... The vaccines can take up to 2 weeks to be effective.

I don't let my puppy interact with other puppies during class. He does interact with others in "daycare" under the supervision of my trainer. But she knows the temperaments of all dogs involved. He's now past the 2 week effective point, so I'll be widening our exposure, but I'm not going to put him with dogs I don't know.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Elite Member

For me and my dogs, when my dog was a pup I would go to places with higher concentration of people and things and not of dogs. Going to Home Depot or Lowes is the best. Remember that socialization is not about other dogs but environments and experiences and surfaces. A few other dogs but the other things are more important in my view.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

Yes a lot of great noises and and large equipment at Home Depot /lowes. I like to hide hot dogs around and let them find it. Keeps them busy. Beaches that allow dogs to was always my favorite place seem to be a mass amount of germAn shepherd people who either had or own one. Outlets and strip malls was another great place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page