How to socialize my puppy with people and other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

How to socialize my puppy with people and other dogs

Hi i have a 3 month old GSD that is very timid and well pretty anti social. I have taken her to the dog park before and she has backed away or growled at other dogs. I've had play dates with my friends pitbull(4'months and friendly) and they play for a while and then she starts showing her teeth and sometimes growls but still is playing but then it escalates to the point of a small fight between them. Also when people pass by she barks at them or when they try to pet her she backs off and barks. I am currently taking her to obedience classes at petsmart. Any ideas or tips will be very much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Crowned Member

You might give this thread a read, https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...alization.html

Also, I would search for other training classes/clubs in your area. There are usually clubs that'll offer reasonably priced training and far more options than you'll find at petco/petsmart.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-07-2016 at 07:31 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:36 AM

The thread Nigel linked is long, but it has so much good information there! I hope you read it through!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Mine was the same way but she eventually outgrew the shyness. She plays well at the dog park now. But is very choosy she'll ignore some dogs and play with others (those mostly close to her in age) we typically go during the least crowed times of the day usually to play fetch. As far as the petsmart classes I did the beginner class and I felt like I could have spent the money better somewhere else. Wasn't impressed id taught my girl pretty much all the commands they went over simply through watching YouTube videos before we even started the class so we went over nothing practically
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliegsd View Post
Mine was the same way but she eventually outgrew the shyness. She plays well at the dog park now. But is very choosy she'll ignore some dogs and play with others (those mostly close to her in age) we typically go during the least crowed times of the day usually to play fetch. As far as the petsmart classes I did the beginner class and I felt like I could have spent the money better somewhere else. Wasn't impressed id taught my girl pretty much all the commands they went over simply through watching YouTube videos before we even started the class so we went over nothing practically
Did you do anything to overcome her shyness ??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:41 AM

I would recommend staying away from petsmart trainers. I called and asked the local petsmart trainer about marker/clicker based training, and she had never heard of it lol...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM

The only thing I did was trying not to put her in stressful situations, I didn't force her to play if she didn't want to, so instead I'd make her focus on me and play ball or something. We'd interact with family dogs that I knew personally but always watching carefully in case one dog began to rough house too much and then we'd separate and take a break. Mine loves to play the equivalent to "tag youre it" she chases dog dog chases back but no one's jumping on eachother or tackling. But it took awhile for her to play probably saw a good change at around 5-6 months that's when she finally stopped being so timid. She still is a little bit but much much better. Mine just prefers playing with calm quiet dogs lol the ones that bark a lot and are really hyper shell just ignore. As far as people we just took her everyone that allowed dogs home Depot Lowe's etc. I never had much of a problem with people
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah im in that process at the moment. I've been taking her to different parks and stores where they allow pets and today i took her to the park and we sat a bench so she could see the people and just get used to them and then one of the people at the park kinda scared her because they yelled and then she barked at a few people approaching our area and then when we were headed back to the car we encountered two dogs and my pup got scared when she seen them and the other dogs started barking so mine did the same thing but i pulled her to my side and kept walking. But i see this is going to take a lot of patience
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Crowned Member

there is not one thing to be gained by taking a young dog to a dog park.
stop.
what is the hurry .
socialize the dog to YOU first , especially a sensitive type .
have the dog in the comfort of your home - and have people
visit you that will not make a big deal of the dog .
mutually ignore each other .
let dog explore -- nothing over the limit.
here you have a pup who is physically spent , and emotionally on the ropes and
you want good things to come from it
Mudypoz likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 02:08 AM

Yeah honestly not a huge advocate for dog parks... Too many crazy dogs and owners. I'm always very cautious when I enter. I usually scan around and check things out.. I really only go cuz where I leave it's the only place I can let my girl off leash without getting fined by the city... We go hiking and I let her off but only in very very secluded areas with almost no people except the occasional mountain biker. But the park is big enough so most of the time we head to back and just play ball she'll just sniff around and stretch her legs and no one bothers us especially during the empty time of the day when we get the whole place to ourselves! Just always always watch your pup. I was at my parents property with my sister and her husbands dogs a lab/pit mix and cocker spaniel/collie mix and the cocker spaniel is older like 4 yrs old and honestly is kind of an ass to other dogs but only when they get in his "bubble" he tolerates the lab mix he's only a year old. Well they were all together and I was in charge of watching them. I turned my head for 5 seconds to answer a question and all of sudden the spaniel had my girl pinned and teeth baring and mine was crying and crying it was awful. He didn't bite but sure did scare the **** out of my girl and me (she was 3 months) she was already tip toeing around the dog to begin with so I had no idea what made him do that. I felt so guilty. I didn't really want her around him to begin with but my sisters husband insisted it would be fine..... So yeah I never take my eyes off of her around other dogs even when I talk to people... It was a very traumatic event for her and I would never ever want it to happen to yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page