Separating our litter mates for a week? or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Separating our litter mates for a week? or not?

So….our 22 month old male, intact litter mates are doing surprisingly well overall. We separate them occasionally for brief periods of time ( a couple of hours) but they spend the vast majority of their lives together.

My question: My husband is driving cross-country tomorrow and will be gone for a week. We are considering separating them and having my husband take one and I keep the other with me. This will be a first for them and we think it will be good for them to be separated for the week. Is there a down-side to this plan that we haven't considered?

Thanks for thoughts/advice!

Trapper and Hawkeye GSD 6/29/14
RC and Moonpie (cats) ~ March, 1996
Tammy -mom to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Back when we only had the the girls (female litter mates), I would take one camping for the weekend and the other would stay at home with my wife. Never an issue and I too think it was good for them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Crowned Member

I think this depends. I actually just read about someone that did this with 2 GSDs and they had a heck of a time reintroducing them. They couldn't even do it for short periods without issues. So I guess it depends on the dogs and their temperaments.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Knighted Member

My husband took our youngest with him for a week of camping last summer. I think everyone enjoyed the special times alone.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

I would be more likely to do it with males than females. The dogs are pretty much adults now, young adults. But I would keep your greetings with the dog that went with the other low key when they get back. If there was a shift in pack dynamics, sometimes it is resource guarding of significant humans that will spark conflict.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
My husband took our youngest with him for a week of camping last summer. I think everyone enjoyed the special times alone.
That's what I'm hoping for. I guess we will just have to be cautious after the trip and manage any new or different behavior. We're looking forward to the separate and special time with them as individuals.

Tammy -mom to all
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:47 PM

I think you might have an easier time of it with males than females. My girls were only 4 months apart, and when I sent one or the other to my breeders house, we had to be careful when we put them back together. My dominant girl would try to bully the other. They normally got along.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015

Last edited by dogfaeries; 04-06-2016 at 11:49 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

I would do it. But like Diane said above, I would be careful when you put them back together. Discuss that part with your trainer.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake and Elwood View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. I guess we will just have to be cautious after the trip and manage any new or different behavior. We're looking forward to the separate and special time with them as individuals.
I know from reading other experiences on this forum of issues that can arise. We know our girls well, and didn't do anything different. Let them out and we unloaded the camper, they didn't behave any differently. All dogs and relationships are unique, so do what you think best for yours.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Decision was made and the week of separation has begun. Will be interesting and will discuss with trainer how to introduce them at the end of the week.
Thanks to all for your input.

Tammy -mom to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page