Worried about weight - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Worried about weight

I just go my baby, he's 6 months and only 30lbs. The vet said he was underweight and needed to be fed more. However, the vet also predicted Titan is going to be one of the smaller ones given his bone structure.

When I got him, he was on Pedigree dog food (complete crap) and just now transitioned him over to Blue Buffalo. He acts like he's starving!! How much should I feed him?

Thanks for the help. This is my first GSD. I've always had Boxers before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titan.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	354698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

30 lbs and 6 months old is really tiny, where did he come from? Has the vet thoroughly ruled out any physical issue?

BB is not a brand I would personally feed due to the company's shady reputation

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I got him from a couple that I think stuck him in a crate the majority of the day. From his behavior, he has not been socialized at all. I also believe he was only fed the bare minimum. He was with his mother and the couple gave me the indication that they money was rather tight.

I've only had him for 6 days now. The vet did rule out any health issues, that's why he gave the indication that he was going to be on the smaller side.

I understand that BB is not a favor of many, however, he seems to be tolerating it at this time. I've been dealing with a mess for the days I've had him and just now I've seen some improvement in his digestion. I plan on continuing with BB until he's somewhat stable because I would think changing him yet again is only going to cause more disruption. I also plan to possibly add rice/hamburger in with it to see if that will help.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. It breaks my heart to see how thin he is right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Remember slow and steady is healthiest If he's getting diarrhea it's most likely you're overfeeding him, rice and hamburger don't add anything of nutritional value to a diet which is why we use it when the dog needs bland easy on the stomach food

I would do small frequent meals

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

There is a difference between small and underweight, but people often use the terms interchangeably since a small puppy is going to weigh less than a larger puppy. Did the vet think he's super skinny for his size, or is he just small for his age? If he's skinny I'd start increasing his meals, maybe by a 1/4 cup each. Or as Shanna suggested, feed more frequent meals, increasing his total daily intake a bit.

Seemingly hungry isn't the best way to determine how much to feed. I have two dogs that always think they're hungry but they're both in very good condition and do NOT need any more food than they're getting!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Cassidy's Mom: The vet thought he was small for his age (height wise) and skinny too. He is for sure under weight. I have noticed just in the last couple of days, he seems to be so much more perky!! He definitely has come to life and showing his puppy personality.

Going to start obedience classes tonight. However, one other issue I'm having with him is mouthing/teething me. He seems to be mouthy .. lol. I yell ouch and ignore him and that seems to help, but he comes back for more. I know this will not be covered in classes because as far as I know, he's the only GSD.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:04 PM

When he starts nipping and biting this is him trying to engage you in play! This is a wonderful thing really! Redirect him with a toy. Don't just hand it to him, play with him. Make the toy come to life and use that energy! Get him excited about toys and you can use them to help practice all those new behaviors yal will be learning in class!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page