Barking at children - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Barking at children

We have had Zoey for 8 weeks. She is 21 weeks now. She is our first GSD and we are all in love with her. She is fantastic with us and our children (2 boys 8 & 6). However, whenever she sees any other children she barks and growls at them. Considering she is so affectionate with our two children, we are confused when she acts this way with other children. She greets adults with some concern but settles quickly. But children are not as well received. Is this common at this age and is there anything we can do to help with this? Knowing she is going to bark and growl at children, I can't really call my friends and ask them to bring their kids by so my dog can growl at them. She is in obedience class and the trainer doesn't seem concerned by it when I ask. However, she said her GSD has never liked children and she doesn't have children so it is okay. Yet, we have children and will likely have friends children over at times. So we need to work through it, not accept it. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Crowned Member

That's a tough one. Hope someone chimes in with an answer.

I had GSD when mine were young, but she was ok with other children.

There are some children that do not have "manners" around dogs, and those need to be separated.

I wouldn't push her.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

That's a question for a private trainer and I would address it now rather than later. You don't want child aggression or you won't be able to have children visit, ever. How does the dog react with adults?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey2015 View Post
We have had Zoey for 8 weeks. She is 21 weeks now. She is our first GSD and we are all in love with her. She is fantastic with us and our children (2 boys 8 & 6). However, whenever she sees any other children she barks and growls at them. Considering she is so affectionate with our two children, we are confused when she acts this way with other children. She greets adults with some concern but settles quickly. But children are not as well received. Is this common at this age and is there anything we can do to help with this? Knowing she is going to bark and growl at children, I can't really call my friends and ask them to bring their kids by so my dog can growl at them. She is in obedience class and the trainer doesn't seem concerned by it when I ask. However, she said her GSD has never liked children and she doesn't have children so it is okay. Yet, we have children and will likely have friends children over at times. So we need to work through it, not accept it. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ugh, well I don't have children, my dog does not much care for kids and sorry your trainer is a "fool!"

I can translate "it's OK" that is code for "I can't help you!" I would start looking for someone who can. In the mean time the first step to getting past this is here, The Place Command:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

When dealing with dogs with "issues" "The Place Command" is key. You can do that.

The dog needs to be taught to "exist" calmly in the presence of "apparently" other kids "first" then you can go beyond that.

That would look like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7_0ZqiJ1zE

If you want to find a "competent qualified trainer" that can help you with your problems, see here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7378442-post9.html

Welcome aboard.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

She is leery of adults as well but once we let her smell them and have them offer her a treat she relaxes. But when she barks and growls at the kids, they are afraid of her and so they won't try again. We have thought about hiring a behavior trainer to just work on this problem area. Otherwise, she is doing very well. We would love to have her some day become a therapy dog but this is a big hurdle to get over before we can really consider that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Chip18 for the links. We will review those and try them out. She is such sweet girl. I think this is just something we need to work through with her. We have always had boxers in the past. Our boxers never knew a stranger. So a GSD personality is a change but one that we are more than willing to work with. We just want to do it correctly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:52 AM

Look up "look at that"

https://clickerleash.wordpress.com/2...reactive-dogs/

There's also videos on YouTube.

We had the same problem with our dog (we don't have kids) and this method helped a lot. I did have a trainer help me with it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Banned

LAT??? Yes ... people can go with that for H/A if they chose. No one that "successfully" rehabs H/A dogs does that?? If they do ...let them "Show there work" where are the video's??

Before taking that approach ...have a look here at types of aggression.:

http://www.worldclasscanine.com/Aggr...Dog_Rehab.html

The trainers that "successfully" rehab dogs "start" with "Place" the dog learns to "chill and cope" with his "stressors" by training "Place" and the "trainers" that "successfully" rehab dogs then start to "Correct" the dog for "making poor choices," they don't bribe them.

That article does not really describe my dog?? He did not bark and lunge or act a fool! He stayed in "Place" and he would still for awhile greet people with a cold hard stare and a low growl! From "Place" I was never once tempted to office him a bribe to distract or bribe him, he learned to "deal with it."

I had no interest in "bribing" or "tricking" him into accepting strangers. I chose "control" and "showing him" how I expected him to behave in public by "walking him."

I never allowed anyone to interact with him until he was ready and I could read him like a book! And I never had need to "correct" him for "inappropriate" behaviour towards people.

Not that hard and I am not a professional, I just chose to look for trainers that use all "Four" Quadrants of Classical Operant Conditioning ( train a how how to "make good choices" and "Correct" them for "poor choices") and if they show their work, so much the better!

If the OP stops putting the dog in a position to practice "go away" get out of my face behaviour there situation and solutions "maybe" just as simple to solve??

I don't know?? What I do know is that if they train "Place" and do "Sit on the Dog" they will enable the dog to better cope with "stressors" and if they keep people out of the dogs face ... no one will get bit.

And now it seems the people thing has a slightly greater scope?? No problem, I already covered it.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...86-post22.html

KISS principle in full effect as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page