8 month old, underweight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

8 month old, underweight?

Hey everyone, I was feeding Tikka Fromms LBP but recently changed her to Nutram LBP (It's a little cheaper and I haven't found anything negative about it online. Asked the store clerk but she didn't know much other than it's Canadian made). I feed her about 4-5 cups of food and she is fed twice a day. She eats all her food at feeding time, but doesn't act overly hungry, though she will try and eat my other dogs food from time to time (He is free fed because he eats literally one kibble at a time). We live on 10.5 acres and she gets lots of outside time running around and playing. I was just wondering if she seems underweight? She is currently 68 lbs and roughly 23.5" - 24" tall. She hasn't seemed to gain any weight over the last few weeks either.. Is that normal? Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12631035_1668883726715155_1614620273_o.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	344306   Click image for larger version

Name:	12620918_1668882846715243_271734989_o.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	344314   Click image for larger version

Name:	12591919_1668882816715246_1775221760_o.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	344322  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

It's so hard to tell with sables in pictures but she looks fine to me. Lean. But that's ok. You don't want added stress on growing joints.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
It's so hard to tell with sables in pictures but she looks fine to me. Lean. But that's ok. You don't want added stress on growing joints.
Thanks for the response. I figured she was okay but when I took the pictures she just seemed maybe too thin. I just get a little worried because she was roughly 38lbs @ 3 mos., 45lbs @ 4 mos., [email protected] mos. Now she is 68lbs but hasn't really gained any weight in the last few weeks, like I said. From what I'm reading I figured she would be done filling out and growing around 2 years so I was just concerned about a decline in weight gain. Is the filling out a really slow process? I definitely want to avoid adding any unnecessary extra weight when she is still so young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM

lol, it's absolutely a slow process... complete with plateaus and weight isn't the sole indicator of filling out - sometimes it's merely a shift in where or how they carry their weight. some lines also mature (physically) slower than others. she's pretty large/solid in the bone department... if she were finer boned she might look more proportionate. but imo she's fine, I wouldn't change a thing. at the rate puppies grow, by 2 she'd be over 200lbs.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:25 PM

My girl is 17months 26" high and was 64lbs a couple of months back we went vets coz I was slightly worried aswell, she is a little on lean side but they weren't overly worried. She's my first gsd and my other dogs a lab so competely different shape/size. They told me to come in vets for weight check every month or so. We've been back in this weekend an she's now 68lbs. So she's put on a little. They pleased she's put on some but assured me it's better to be leaner on her joints especially with her height. An honestly despite her age she still hasn't started filling out, so try not to worry too much. She looks beautiful, mine is longhaired so even if I put pics you won't be able to see how slim she actually is
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Crowned Member

68# for an 8 month old working line female is a good size. They level off on weight and growth about 8-10 months. She might add another 5# up to 2 but from the sounds of it, she must have grown like a weed up until now and then stopped. My male stopped at about 10 months.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
lol, it's absolutely a slow process... complete with plateaus and weight isn't the sole indicator of filling out - sometimes it's merely a shift in where or how they carry their weight. some lines also mature (physically) slower than others. she's pretty large/solid in the bone department... if she were finer boned she might look more proportionate. but imo she's fine, I wouldn't change a thing. at the rate puppies grow, by 2 she'd be over 200lbs.
Haha, fair enough. Now I feel a little dumb for asking.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:53 PM

no, it's a legitimate question and worth posting the photos. for MANY folks she would be too thin but MANY folks also have gsd who are overweight...and don't take into account a dogs age, lines, or individual build. if ribs and hip bones aren't protruding and coat & energy are both good... I let my dogs be as thin as they want to be. for the record, one of my males is 24.5" and just 60lbs... you're gonna have a big girl in a couple years! don't rush it

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 01-24-2016 at 03:55 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
no, it's a legitimate question and worth posting the photos. for MANY folks she would be too thin but MANY folks also have gsd who are overweight...and don't take into account a dogs age, lines, or individual build. if ribs and hip bones aren't protruding and coat & energy are both good... I let my dogs be as thin as they want to be. for the record, one of my males is 24.5" and just 60lbs... you're gonna have a big girl in a couple years! don't rush it
Thanks so much for the input! I'm excited for the couple years to come, I just can't wait till she starts to fills out and looks more like a "dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in