German Shepherds Forum banner

weight

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  njk 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
The vast majority of GSD's I see are overweight. Most people have absolutely no idea what a "normal" sized GSD looks like, especially as puppies. 55 lbs at 5 months is actually a little on the larger side, but numbers don't mean squat... go by body condition. When you run your hands over her sides, can you feel ribs? What do they feel like? "Ideal" body condition is being able to slightly feel ribs, as you feel your knuckles on the back of your hand when you lay your palm flat.

My female is almost 9 months and weighs 55 lbs. Numbers really don't mean anything... nor do comparing them to Joe Schmoe's dog on the street. My male is oversized and I still get comments on how small he is :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I agree with love echo.... They are such hearty eater i feel bad sometime cause mine never seem to have enough meal. But i keep him on ideal form. I can feel the ribs , hourglass shape, tummy tucked. He is heavy cause of the massive paw.

#8 ·
He looks lean but no visible rib so IMHO he is ok. everyone has different build.
The paw is thinner than mine but everyone is different.. Diesel's dog is massive, even bigger than mine. I think he was 70 lbs at 5 months lol and mine is 50 at 4.5 months.

#9 ·
He looks fine (and incredibly cute). Who cares if other people's dogs are bigger? Like I said- 55 lbs at 5 months is NOT a small dog. It's pretty rare to see a fit, within-standard GSD these days, so most people new to the breed don't actually know what one looks like.

Not to mention- most people are terrible at judging another dog's weight just by looking at it. I know I am. My male is 75 lbs and people tell me all the time he must be over 100 :p

#11 ·
Don't worry about it. My youngest is 9 months and weighed 49lbs last week and I'm not the slightest bit worried. He's completely normal, got a nice full coat, actually has some massive muscles already b/c I train him pretty hard (age appropriate). He's not huge obviously, and doesn't have heavy bone, but he's not underweight and he's not even that small (nearly his dad's height and length). I showed him in an SV show and he received the highest rating available for his age class, got a great critique from the judge and was labelled "upper medium" size.

#12 ·
My girl is "tiny" compared to most shepherds. She just turned one and hardly weighs 50lbs :) She has a VERY athletic build. She could probably do very well in agility bc of her size and build. I was a little concerned at first but I got over it :) I think she might be getting pressure from social media to be thin :p

#13 ·
My first GSD was a working line female. She was 50lbs and just half an inch under the standard as far as height. She was very pretty and still made people cross the street even at 50lbs!

#16 ·
She may fill out a bit too. My 50lb female was 50lb when I got her at 3.5 years and stayed that weight. I've seen some even smaller framed and/or lighter weight females that can still pack a punch in bitework!

#17 ·
When we're out in public we always get, oh what a cute puppy! lol Little do they realize that she's just about as big as she's gonna get, at least height wise lol. She's our little pocket shepherd!

#20 ·
I'm not sure of my girl's height (I tried a couple times to check but she just wanted to play with the measure) but she is 9 months old and 50lbs. I worried about whether this was low for her age but it's comforting to see others around the same. She eats her fill and often leaves food behind, so she definitely gets enough. She just self-regulates (except with treats lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.