My pups bum wiggles when he walks.... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigervTeMar View Post
I don't know if it harms their hips, I hope not. But I don't let my guy jump up or down from my car I just carry him both ways
I think it probably just matters HOW you carry them, obviously support their hips and chest areas. It's not like a long journey, and most likely less impact than trying to get up and down the stairs/car

Owned by
Finnick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:06 AM

We're convinced our collies HD came from too many ball games when he was developing. There was a lot of sharp turns, skidding etc and it was on a daily basis.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amurphy26 View Post
We're convinced our collies HD came from too many ball games when he was developing. There was a lot of sharp turns, skidding etc and it was on a daily basis.

I going to try my best to avoid strenuous activity for him, hard as he's so lively and playful. How do your collies cope with their HD?

Owned by
Finnick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06/02/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM

Unfortunately the collie passed away last year. As well as HD he had epilepsy and died following some bad fits.
He really struggled with the HD but mostly because by the time we discovered it he was used to a lot of exercise and struggled accepting calm, low impact exercise. When we were researching GSDs every breeder we spoke to suggested getting our dog hip scored when the dog is between 1 and 2yrs old. If there are any problems we can tailor her exercise to suit her hips. We're getting our GSD hip scored when she gets spayed in July. She has a lot of energy so rather than drain her energy physically we've done lots of mental games including scenting. She loves them and can now sniff out my car keys. There's nothing complicated with her scenting, it just keeps her busy while protecting her growing bones.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately the collie passed away last year. As well as HD he had epilepsy and died following some bad fits.
He really struggled with the HD but mostly because by the time we discovered it he was used to a lot of exercise and struggled accepting calm, low impact exercise. When we were researching GSDs every breeder we spoke to suggested getting our dog hip scored when the dog is between 1 and 2yrs old. If there are any problems we can tailor her exercise to suit her hips. We're getting our GSD hip scored when she gets spayed in July. She has a lot of energy so rather than drain her energy physically we've done lots of mental games including scenting. She loves them and can now sniff out my car keys. There's nothing complicated with her scenting, it just keeps her busy while protecting her growing bones.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like he had a very caring owner in you to look after him. I'll definitely get Finnick hip scored as soon as he is old enough! Can I ask, what exactly is the scenting game? It sounds good, I need to find Finnick more mental stimulating games (baring in mind he's only 9 weeks) x

Owned by
Finnick
06/02/14
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM

It was just basic stuff (I am far from a dog trainer) but it was things like teaching her 'find' by hiding treats in the house and garden and getting her to sniff them out, then her tennis ball and now my car keys. It wasn't scenting but I also got some friends kids to play hide and seek with her. I gave them a whistle and sent them to hide in the garden with a treat for her. When they blew the whistle I let her go and she would dash round the garden till she found them then sit and wait for her treat. That was my favourite because it taught her manners with children, helped with her whistle recall and as the game got harder she also had to use her nose to find them. She was doing that from about 10 wks.

Our collie was a great dog, it was hard watching him when he was ill and vet sad when he went. Our GSD loved him.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

That's a fab idea! I might try that and then once he gets the hang of it I might try including my two young nieces (4 and 6), I agree...It teaches them that children = positive things and not scary loud things lol! Plus, it's great fun! We don't work with a whistle, we use a clicker....but it's one you can adjust the volume, so also good for recall! Thanks for the idea, hehe.

Oh, he sounds like a sweetheart. It's always so hard saying goodbye to our furry kids...sounds like he had a great life with you though <3

Owned by
Finnick
06/02/14
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Here's a couple of videos of Finnick walking (it was surprisingly hard to get him to walk the opposite way to me!) -

(didn't know how to directly attach them here)

P.s I realize he looks very chubby in the videos....he honestly doesn't have THAT much puppy fat! (all that fur doesn't help :P). His back legs sometimes looks slightly "cow hocked". Opinions?

Owned by
Finnick
06/02/14
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM

I don't really know anything about cow hocked but looks like a gorgeous, big pup. I wasn't familiar with the term before you mentioned it. Hope someone else can help?

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't really know anything about cow hocked but looks like a gorgeous, big pup. I wasn't familiar with the term before you mentioned it. Hope someone else can help?

Thank you, he is a rather cute little chunk

Cow hocked basically means the hind legs aren't parrallel to each other, they kind of play outward :\

Owned by
Finnick
06/02/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in