My 1 year old GSD weighs 53lbs. Is this normal? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

My 1 year old GSD weighs 53lbs. Is this normal?

My husband and I (who are both first-time dog parents) rescued our 1 y.o. GSD about 5 weeks ago. We took him to the vet a few days later and had him weighed and he weighed 52 lbs. I haven't taken him to the vet recently, but he doesn't look like he has gained much weight. Based on that graph floating around, he should weigh closer to 75 lbs.

We feed him almost double the recommended amount, but all it seems to do is just increase his number of poops per day. It also seems that he hasn't seemed to "grow into his paws" yet as many many people have commented on how big he is going to be based on his paws.

Should I be concerned at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Knighted Member

All GSD's are different, the chart is just a general guideline. My 15 month old male is only 65lbs, it does take them two to three years to reach their final weight sometimes. Do you have any photos and are you sure he's purebred? He is slightly on the small side but if he's not underweight then I really wouldn't worry too much about it. On a positive note this is a great size if you ever want to try agility or flyball. The whole paw thing is pretty much a myth, what food is he eating?

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

We feed him food from The Honest Kitchen. Seems to be doing great on it...at least according to his poops. I am looking into supplementing his food with Salmon Oil and also a supplement for joint health since they are prone to hip dysplasia.

This is the only full body I have of him sitting up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

And yes, he is a purebred. He was owner surrendered and the rescue gave me his papers.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Elite Member

He looks dandy to me, pretty broad chest for a 1 year old too. His nails HAVE to be murder on that snazzy floor.

Never cook bacon while naked.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
He looks dandy to me, pretty broad chest for a 1 year old too. His nails HAVE to be murder on that snazzy floor.
brembo - We keep his nails short. And we've come to terms with saying goodbye to our pristine hardwood. Had we known we were eventually getting a dog, we would've opted for a different material!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 AM

Its kind of hard to tell because he's sitting down but by the size of his head and chest it looks like he should be a big dog. in the photo his lower half looks a bit too small. But again its hard to tell with him sitting.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurybq View Post
Its kind of hard to tell because he's sitting down but by the size of his head and chest it looks like he should be a big dog. in the photo his lower half looks a bit too small. But again its hard to tell with him sitting.

aurybq - You're right. His lower half is super small. His butt is very bony.

Just took this photo of him napping right now. His dog bed measures 36" as a point of reference
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Elite Member

To be honest of he was mine I wouldn't worry too much he looks good, all gsd vary in size he looks to be a decent size..

Very handsome boy congratulations..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Marlena
Bella 9/23/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gatticus 3/6/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats zorro & Patches
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 AM

Well he looks very cute, but remember german shepherds have a naturally thin waist. And like someone else said, every dog is different when it comes to growing and filling out.As long as he's happy and doesn't show any signs of being sick, I wouldnt worry about it too much for now because your obviously not starving him. just keep tracking his weight to see if he improves even a little and if nothing changes talk to your vet about EPI

Last edited by aurybq; 11-12-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page