Best toys for older puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Best toys for older puppy

After reading another thread on energetic pups in the house, and as Im watching Tucker ramsack my living room, it occurred to me that some new indoor toys for the approaching cold weather might be in order. Right now his favorite toys that occupy him are the jute bite pillow he slings around, and his frisbee that we can play with inside on a limited basis :what:

He is big, so we need durable. Kongs, etc only work for crate time as my older pooch steals them and destroys them faster than any dog I've ever seen.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I HATE cold weather, and although it'll be good for me to have to stay active outside this winter, I'd love to be warm occassionally

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Knighted Member

Unless you want your house destroyed or you plan on having your dog live in the crate all winter, expect to be outside a lot this season.

Dogs don't care that it's cold outside and they don't care that you're cold outside or that you don't like to be outside at all in winter.

Buy a parka, get some snowshoes and heavy gloves, and have fun instead of making it a chore. Don't forget to stock up on bath towels too. You'll go through up to five a day (unless you like doing laundry) depending upon your yard and the weather.

For inside play though, Lisl likes braided heavy duty rope with knots. A Kong tug toy, soft balls that won't damage possessions, and as always, Oinkers rolled up pig ears for a 30 minute chew.

Grooming her and playing with her on her back seems to be fun for her too, and there is always training that can be done to keep their mind occupied.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned

house train your dog. what do you mean you're watching
your dog ramsack the livingroom? teach/train your dog how to
behave in the house and anywhere else.

best toys, i don't know what the best toys are. buy a lot of toys
so they last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonnalily View Post
After reading another thread on energetic pups in the house, and as

>>>>> Im watching Tucker ramsack my living room, <<<<<

it occurred to me that some new indoor toys for the approaching cold weather might be in order. Right now his favorite toys that occupy him are the jute bite pillow he slings around, and his frisbee that we can play with inside on a limited basis :what:

He is big, so we need durable. Kongs, etc only work for crate time as my older pooch steals them and destroys them faster than any dog I've ever seen.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I HATE cold weather, and although it'll be good for me to have to stay active outside this winter, I'd love to be warm occassionally

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 AM

Mine like the kong stuffed animals and stuffed donuts. They haven't been able to destroy those yet. They also love bully sticks. It will take them about 1-2 hours to finish one off but they are one of their favorite treats. Deer antlers are good too but make sure they are large pieces.

5 dogs (2 GSD & 3 pugs), 1 cat, 2 parrots and a horse
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Kirsten, thanks He lost interest in bully sticks awhile ago, strangely, but I'll try those again. Right now he wants to tug or chase instead of chew (unless its something he shouldn't chew :banghead He is really generally pretty good...I'm just thinking of more indoor "games" for him. I'm thinking the old pooch might have to be gated off from him for periods so I can give him his kongs outside of the crate. He really enjoys the "puzzle" ones...I haven't tried the Kong stuffed animals but I will! I'm just trying to transition him to more indoor-but-outside-the-crate time in anticipation of nasty weather.

Doggiedad, I hope your day gets better

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Michael I somehow missed your post when I first replied. Yes, I expect to be outside a lot more...which is good. I'm an outdoors-type and during the 3 "good" seasons we are hiking, running, training, etc every available moment. But the reality is is that there will not be as much outdoor time during the winter. Work and shorter daylight hours make it harder for me but we'll do what we can.

I was only asking about suggestions for what others have found to be entertaining and useful toys...I have bought SO much stuff...some he liked, some he didn't. Thought it would be nice to get some input from those that have been down this road before spending more money, thats all. I didnt expect such a simple question would result in being preached to about getting my butt outside sun sleet snow or shine Obviously I won't be buying puppy pads and hibernating all winter :what:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Oh and FWIW I have plenty of warm weather gear. My daughters show horses year round so its a necessity. But I have a medical condition that causes my feet to stay essentially numb no matter what outside during the cold weather and its quite uncomfortable. So while I'll still be outside, that does slow me down a bit...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Knighted Member

My 7 month old loves Gatorade bottles, the Kong Squeezz stick (large)..he uses it as a tug toy and plays with it by himself as well. He also loves gnawing on marrow bones. Anything soft he works tenaciously to rip open the seams. I also got several boxes (shoebox size) and cut a square out of the top of each. In one I place a treat sitting in a small plastic bowl (usually a small piece of hot dog). I scatter them in another room and have him do a search for the correct box. He loves that game.

I also take one of his favorite soft rubber bones and hide it in another room and have him search for that. He gets very excited when he finds it.

Teach tricks! I decided to teach my pup to stand on his hind legs this weekend. It took him only 2 or 3 times before he got it. He's a smarty pants. Last weekend he learned to wave and 'inside voice' (silent bark). A lot of times I watch him do something, then just put a 'command word' to it. He has a great memory.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)

Last edited by Galathiel; 11-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Galathiel...thank you! I haven't seen the Kong stick but I'll look for it. The hide a treat game sounds perfect. We do a variation of that outside so not sure why it didn't dawn on me to try inside. The shoebox idea sounds interesting.

He has learned a few "tricks" (much to the trainers dismay lol) so I might look into a few others...he's so quick to learn that I really enjoy that with him

Thanks again

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Crowned Member

I cheat and purchase soft rope at a big box store. I'll tie different toys to the rope and drag them around the house. Play tug with them..etc. When toy A begins to get boring..I'll take it off and tie toy B to it...etc.

It is more difficult when it's winter - not just due to the cold, but because it gets dark so early.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page