Two questions about raising my 4 mo GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Two questions about raising my 4 mo GSD

1) What are the top 3 "brain" exercises for my 4 month old?
2) How do I ensure he grows to his full potential? A sample and diet and exercise plan would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Elite Member

I'm not too sure about brain exercises, however I would think things like using his nose (tracking) is good for the brain.

With growth, I received excellent advice from my very experience Vet (a breeder of GSD for over 30 years), she says to 'grow them slowly' amongst other things. Here is a link with information she has written Feeding Your Puppy and General Nutrition Information | German Shepherd Dog Club of Victoria
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Banned

training is brain exercise, basic and advanced.

i fed my pup 3 cups a day. 1 cup in the am, 1 cup noonish
and 1 cup in the pm. he had a snack and training treats.

at 4 months old i think we could walk a 1/4 of a mile.
we played in the yard and light play in the house. by the
time he was 2 yrs old we were walking 5 miles.

do you know how to train a dog? are you going to find
a trainer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

My main concern is exercise. Ive had my pup since he was 9 wks but i never thought about growth inhingement due to exercise. I feel like im afraid to take him for long walks now if its really that bad. I live in the miami suburbs so i take him for 3 30 min walks a day and most of the time its on pavement .There are a few open fields and dog parks i take him to but thats just twice a week or so. It seems like he enjoys walks more than off leash play, atleast for now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Bump
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Banned

He'll grow to however large his genetics dictate he should be. No amount of exercise or food will help him grow bigger. He needs just enough food to nurture him at this point and provide the calories for growth...over feeding will just cause a fat dog with a lot of stress on the joints.

The walks you're doing are fine. A dog can walk on pavement. Just don't run him on pavement. It hasn't really been proven that doing certain exercises increases risk of joint problems, but running on pavement is bad for all living things as it has absolutely no give for your joints.

You have to look at the food you're using and follow the chart it has on the back. If he seems to be getting fatter rather than growing, feed less, if he's super skinny, feed more. Pretty simple.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Elite Member

Have a read of the following link on exercising GSD pups Puppies and Exercise | German Shepherd Dog Club of Victoria

I think 3 x 30 minute on lead pavement walking is way too much for a 4 month old.

The best type of exercise at this age is off leash free play/run/walk where the puppy can stop and rest when it needs it. On lead walking is good but only for a very short time, and take note of your puppy if she/he is wanting to stop or try to sit down then he/she has had enough and needs to rest.

It is far better to limit exercise until after critical growth period (around 12 months) and then increase exercise to build muscle in your GSD.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 AM

An Excellent brain exercise is the "find it" game. Hide something, treats or a ball, and have the dog find them. This game has really tired my GSD's brain out when I need it. Start off doing this in plain sight, then telling your pup to "Find it!" then when they know what the command means, do it when they aren't looking. This game can also progress if you want to something like "find your leash!" or "go find your dish!"
Get him involoved with a sport if you can, even if you don't compete, just do it for fun.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGuardian View Post
An Excellent brain exercise is the "find it" game. Hide something, treats or a ball, and have the dog find them. This game has really tired my GSD's brain out when I need it. Start off doing this in plain sight, then telling your pup to "Find it!" then when they know what the command means, do it when they aren't looking. This game can also progress if you want to something like "find your leash!" or "go find your dish!"
Get him involoved with a sport if you can, even if you don't compete, just do it for fun.
This is a fun game to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page