Slow Development - 16 Weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Slow Development - 16 Weeks

My pup Diesel is almost 17 weeks old now and still has never been to a dog park and just started going on walks around the neighborhood last week. We got him at 6 weeks, we found out he had parvo and he was never vaccinated until 2 weeks after he fought off the parvo and giardia. He just had his 3rd of vacs last week and the vet said we could finally walk him around the neighborhood, however no hikes or dog parks yet.

We have a 7 year old shelter dog who is now smaller than him, but they are best friends to an extent and always play with one another around the house and backyard.

How far behind is he in his development? I hate not being able to take him to the dog park to mingle with others while he is young. He was introduced to toddlers and kids at about 8-9 weeks old and did great with them, he is great with people.

His next vet appt is the 5th of November and I am hoping at that point they will say it is okay to go to the dog parks etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't take him to the dog park. I used to take my GSD when he was younger and he was fine around other dogs and seemed to enjoy himself but other dogs have behavior issues and health issues and some dogs have no business being around other dogs. All it takes is for one bad experience and your puppy could become fearful or aggressive towards other dogs.

I would enroll in a puppy class so that you can socialize him with other puppies or I would find some nice people in your neighborhood with well behaved dogs or friends or family members with dogs and have play dates with them.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I wouldn't take him to the dog park. I used to take my GSD when he was younger and he was fine around other dogs and seemed to enjoy himself but other dogs have behavior issues and health issues and some dogs have no business being around other dogs. All it takes is for one bad experience and your puppy could become fearful or aggressive towards other dogs.

I would enroll in a puppy class so that you can socialize him with other puppies or I would find some nice people in your neighborhood with well behaved dogs or friends or family members with dogs and have play dates with them.
I agree, just read all the dog park incident threads here. None of my dogs have ever been to one, way too many chances for a bad result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Now that you mention it, probably not the best for such a young pup. We took our other dog and she is a little dog, she loved it until she got trampled by the big boys.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Elite Member

yep I'd wait until he is older, there is plenty of time and being only 17 weeks he may not have built up immunity. You could start lead work with him and walk him on lead near the dog park so that he can see them and his experience will be fine as there is distance between him and other dogs.

When you do decide to take him to an off leash dog park, don't go to one with too many dogs, and observe the dogs that are in the park for a period of time to see if they are aggressive, are under control of their owners and are good with little ones and/or puppies. If you don't like what you see, don't go in and try another time.

It is far better to be really cautious with young GSD pups than to expose them to a frightening experience which may stay with them forever.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

i took my dog to the dog park. 10 minutes from my house there's
1,700 acres of woods. there's a section in the woods where people
gather daily with their dogs. i've counted up to 25 dogs there. there's
a variety of breeds and sizes.

you can set up some play dates. play dates are good for training and
socializing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Knighted Member

Go on Kijiji and post an add looking for social, friendly dogs for small play/socialization/walking groups. Control the dogs your puppy interacts with, choose only friendly and gentle dogs, that will set him up for successful socialization.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
Go on Kijiji and post an add looking for social, friendly dogs for small play/socialization/walking groups. Control the dogs your puppy interacts with, choose only friendly and gentle dogs, that will set him up for successful socialization.
Perfect recommendation.

Another good mix is to find a great class for younger dogs. Huge help in a controlled situation with other people willing to spend the money and take the time to do a bit more for their pups.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page