how to stop from running and playing HARD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

how to stop from running and playing HARD

Roxy will be 9 months old the end of this month. It's near impossible for me to get her to stop playing HARD. When she chases her ball she puts her 110% into it. Even if I roll the ball and not throw it in the air she gets that thing bouncing all over and is jumping at it.
Same thing with her frisbee -- I can roll it or skip it across the grass..she gets it and up in the air she goes. And she kicks up dirt and grass like a small horse.
Until I go back to the tax office tax season ..I take her out 2 or 3 times a day to our run ring and that's where we play. I'm afraid she's going to do damage..she gets to running so hard she sometimes slips..and I think that will slow her down..but she grabs whatever is closest to her and brings it to me to throw.
She will run like this for about 15 minutes..then she's done and ready to come in the house and chew on antlers and take a nap.

How do you keep a dog from being a dog and playing hard like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

Mine, especially my female sounds like a horse, she kinda looks like one to,the way she goes in the air. Dirt and grass goes flying. I'll be forever planting grass, but I got a yard for them to enjoy, so I let them enjoy it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM

I don't know. Carly is almost 4 years old, and she got so rowdy awhile ago that she knocked a bench sideways in the living room. I left the room earlier and an armchair had been relocated.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

we got VERY lucky-- I'm not sure there won't be issues down the road from this...roxy was doing her pony gallop through the house while I was trying to stop it...somehow she got her foot tangled up in the gate....popped the gate out of the doorway and was all tangled up in it SCREAMING. I do NOT know how it didn't bust her leg. I was freaking out which wasn't helping...took what seemed forever to get her out of it...but we did. checked her all over..I'm trying to look at her leg and she's wanting to do another lap through the house. She went from me getting her untangled from the gate to bouncing off the couch with her tongue hanging out of the side of her mouth. I'm still in a state of shock and she wants me to chase her
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

that was a week or so ago. Now we've put the skids on playing in the house...but zoomies still abound outside. I'm just scared from reading all the "don't let them" do this and that or they'll end up lame stories. I just don't know how you keep a dog from being a dog.

so it's not that I "want" to stop her from playing...it's that I'm afraid after reading all of these horror stories about how they become lame from too rough of play...am I supposed to just let her be a dog or drag her in the house and make sure she doesn't jump or run?

I love watching her play ..she's built for speed that's for sure. I just don't want to hurt her in the long run..down the road with bad hips or something.

Last edited by lyssa62; 10-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssa62 View Post
we got VERY lucky-- I'm not sure there won't be issues down the road from this...roxy was doing her pony gallop through the house while I was trying to stop it...somehow she got her foot tangled up in the gate....popped the gate out of the doorway and was all tangled up in it SCREAMING. I do NOT know how it didn't bust her leg. I was freaking out which wasn't helping...took what seemed forever to get her out of it...but we did. checked her all over..I'm trying to look at her leg and she's wanting to do another lap through the house. She went from me getting her untangled from the gate to bouncing off the couch with her tongue hanging out of the side of her mouth. I'm still in a state of shock and she wants me to chase her
They sure get you scared with howling.dexter got his paw caught in his cone and his terrible crying brought everyone running to his crate. Luckily it was just a nail caught, but he sounded like someone was choping him up in pieces lol. The crate helps me to stop him from running around like a crazy wild dog so he doesnt bust stitches open. We had to move the dogs couch up against the wall because hed get the zoomies and run around the house so fast charging toward the couch, he knocked it over a couple of times. Weve also learned not to leave drinks on the coffee table with his wild antics.

Last edited by Msmaria; 10-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

oh this was blood curdling ...and I thought I was going to pass out from it...and then the crazy girl wants to do another lap.
Talk about rigging the house up..I have lattice strapped to my railing so she can't go flying over that.
I never rigged my house up this much for 2 kids. LOL!

She's all passed out in the kitchen now..waiting for me to go to bed. And by bed ..I mean on the couch -- next to her kennel. I sleep there and the cat sleeps on the pillow by my head. I may never see my real bed again.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

sounds like your dog has you trained pretty well

if i play fetch i dont play on anything with moisture. the grass has to be super dry to prevent slipping. i also dont throw it long distances so that the dog can get up to full speed and then suddenly have to stop for a ball. a torn acl is my worst fear.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Crowned Member

I have seen mine take a couple tumbles and I can feel myself holding my breath. It is scary. Mine play a lot less in the house then they did before. If I'm throwing the ball I make sure the ball lands before they go for it, that way they don't slide or come to a sudden stop. To get some energy out either take her for a long walk or do some obedience.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

She starts classes again the second week of November. That will help.
This grass can be bone dry and she just runs so fast and hard that she's kicking up dirt and grass and loses her footing. She is like a pony in the witness protection program or something. It's fun to watch but she scares me when she's running so hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page