Franklin's colors and other questions (pics) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Franklin's colors and other questions (pics)

Hi!

I've had adult shepherds and know how they are as an adult. But wow, I didn't know what I was in for with this guy. Our 1st shepherd was a rescue; Ellie was her name. Most loyal dog I've ever seen or had. I trained her and she was just... amazing. She had severe separation anxiety. Her only issue. She ran away, sadly. Which is how she came to the shelter in first place. We had her for 3 years. Then our 2nd shepherd was a male. He came from a large family that had behavior issues with him. Truthfully, they caused most of it. He was a great family dog. However, he had dog aggression issues and attacked another dog. He had to go because of our renter's policy. Unfortunately, he wasn't the GSD that Ellie was.

We've sinced moved and had been given a puppy. The problem with this is that we got him at 2 weeks. Before I'm bashed, the mom didn't want to whelp him and the owners didn't want to take the time. So we stepped up and took care of him. I don't know much about his parents. I bottle fed him the formula posted on Leerburg. Taking care of him and our at the time 3 month old wasnt easy. He is such an awesome little pup. I've been socializing, working with him in obedience, and he is excelling. I've taught him to release, leave it, no bite (bite inhibition), go home (go to kennel), sit, down, stay (working to do it longer), he's house trained, get and bring it (fetch). He walks great on a leash. Still has tendency to pull, but nothing that isn't easily managed. I exercise him with a flirt pole and walks. He has to work for his food, NILIF. I want to do more with him. He's close to 4 months old.

Since he hasn't had pups to grow up with, I've become his mom and leader and our kids have become his brothers and sister. Are there going to be behavior issues in the future that I should be aware? Also his colors, I love his current stage and wished they would stay. What will they change to when his older? Any advice would be appreciated as well.

First pic is Ellie, then Franklin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Friendly bump.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM

Very cute, and good work on trying so hard to meet all his needs! That's a tough job.
Puppies brought home so early can have troubles later in life however that isn't a guarantee so time will tell. It sounds like you have set a fantastic stage for socialization with people and his home environment. I really strongly recommend that you get him interacting with other dogs and if you seen any hint of a behaviour problem that you address it immediately.
Good Luck I wish I could tell you his colours wouldn't change but I'm not sure that's true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Nothing is ever set in stone, some dogs have all the odds in their favour and end up having problems and some are the opposite and fly through life. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you've given him the best start possible and that's continuing.

As for his colouring yes it probably will change, might be slight or might be drastic, time will tell If you have photos of his relatives that might give you the best idea of what he may end up as

I love the photo of him with the paper bag, he's a cutie!

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies. I don't have any doubts as to his now. He's doing what puppies do. I was told by a trainer at PetSmart that I would have behavior issues. She never clarified. Since then it's been something that's weighed on me. I want him to be the best he can.I know that what I put in is what we'll get out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I don't have any doubts as to his now. He's doing what puppies do. I was told by a trainer at PetSmart that I would have behavior issues. She never clarified. Since then it's been something that's weighed on me. I want him to be the best he can.I know that what I put in is what we'll get out.
The trainer at Petsmart is not entirely wrong they do run the risk of not being properly socialized, especially with other dogs. Their littermates and mom are great teachers of dog dog interaction without it they could run into trouble later with dogs.
Bite control (Inhibition) is the biggest one I've run across personally. The pup could have separation anxiety from you or the family.
Reactivity and Fear are two other possibilities.

Try not to focus on it too much, continue to enjoy him just be prepared to address any concerns right away. He didn't get the ideal start but he didn't get a horrible one with you either. Shade is right, even some dogs who have everything stacked in their favour still suffer/struggle with all of the above.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbud View Post
The trainer at Petsmart is not entirely wrong they do run the risk of not being properly socialized, especially with other dogs. Their littermates and mom are great teachers of dog dog interaction without it they could run into trouble later with dogs.
Bite control (Inhibition) is the biggest one I've run across personally. The pup could have separation anxiety from you or the family.
Reactivity and Fear are two other possibilities.

Try not to focus on it too much, continue to enjoy him just be prepared to address any concerns right away. He didn't get the ideal start but he didn't get a horrible one with you either. Shade is right, even some dogs who have everything stacked in their favour still suffer/struggle with all of the above.
Thanks. I keep him in the kennel when I can't watch him. It's usually a few hours a day. Or after exercising he goes in there to relax. He so far doesn't show signs of Sep anxiety. We leave him at home alone often.
As for fear, he appears to be pretty solid. Everything that he's been exposed to he has handled very well. There's been 2 times he's barked at something, but he hasn't avoided. One was a scarecrow on a mailbox, the other was a box that blew in our yard. He barked, stopped to analyze. Then he approached calmly and confidently, sniffed, mouthed, and he's good. I feel that's an acceptable behavior. But again, I have more experience with adult Gsds than pups.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Nice pics, cute pup. Ellie was a beautiful girl

I think it's important to treat the dog as an individual, not the same as the one that came before him. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Nice pics, cute pup. Ellie was a beautiful girl

I think it's important to treat the dog as an individual, not the same as the one that came before him. Good luck.
This is very good advice.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 AM

We took in hand reared pup but was also taken off mum cause too many in litter shes adorable ypur pup is lovely I think if too look out gor anything is overprotective ness cause sometimes find if hand reared cam be more protective than usual jyst give plenty of mixing with other people outside of family and you should end up with great dog but imsgine will end up with big soft baby

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page