Considering Neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Considering Neutering

Achilles has always been an easy going, come what may GSD, but after turning 2, I started to see some behavioral changes. He start showing dominant behavior towards other males. It was the worst when Kaleb was brought home for a couple days. It seems like he constantly needed to show that he was the Alpha male. Passing other dogs on our outings has never been an issue, but now he tends to react, especially if they are reactive. He is not difficult to control, but I was wondering if having him neutered will lessen this behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

IMO it probably will lessen the behavior. Dogs display dominance behaviors for many reasons, and a surge of testosterone is one of those reasons. I find that neutered males will still display dominance, but it doesn't have that serious, sometimes almost frantic edge to it. It's like the hormones sometimes cause a compulsion to dominate.

Neutering doesn't seem to have an effect on prey or defense drive, in my experience, but it does tend to lessen fight drive, so be aware of this if you are training in SchH.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM

If you are not planning to use him at stud I would have done it at about the 2 year mark anyway. I am a firm believer in the need to spay and neuter so if I believe in it I have to also do it. My two girls are spayed because they are not breeding quality and would lessen the breed if they produced any offspring and if you feel the same way then getting your boys who-who's removed wont be too terrible of an experience. If he has never used them he wont even miss them and it will make him a bit more manageable. It wont solve the issue completely, but remove the hormone blast and some carefull training and he will make you proud.

Wheelchair Bob

Hally, The Olden Golden 12/5/1999-
Indi, (GSD) 8/4/2011-
Dixie, (GSD) 8/11/2011-
Sassy, (Rottie) Born 10/9/1999-6/12/2006 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you. This is great info. He will never be SchH or breeding material, so I think we will move forward with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page